Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I am unable to pay book. I get the message that my card is

Customer Question

I am unable to pay for a book. I get the message that my card is not correct. Tried to change as I have the same card but it expired but still won't accept.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi Sharon,

On what website or device are you getting this message?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On my Kindle. It says to go to settings to set up credit card, which I did but still no luck. I found the choices in settings to be confusing.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Ok, then you will need to check your payment settings on the Amazon website.

To do this, go to www.amazon.ca and then

1. Go to Manage Your Content and Devices.
  2. From Settings, select Edit Payment Method below Digital Payment Settings.
  3. Select the desired credit card information, or add a new card, and then click Continue.
  4. Enter the desired billing address, and then click Continue. You will be taken back to the Digital Payment Settings page where you can view your edited 1-Click payment method.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if that works for you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We followed all of the above steps and when we try to buy a book via the Kindle, we still get an error message saying a valid default credit card does not exist. The credit card defined in Amazon.ca was updated correctly. What do we do now?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete, I have not heard back from you. As the message says above, we followed all of the steps you suggested and I still get the message credit card set up. I have been buying books sinces I got the kindle years ago and have never had this problem. Please help. Also I am not impressed that. Have to pay $27.00 to get assistance in the phone. I have also used that service in the past and was able to solve problems quite easily. This is very frustrating.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete, I am still trying to solve the problem. Please get back to me.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi Sharon,
Sorry for the delay.

I have been looking into this problem for you.

Are you sure the Kindle is registered with your amazon.ca account?

What is the exact error message you are seeing on the Kindle?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete, I have had this kindle for many years and have purchased books without issue. The only thing that may have changed is my credit card expired. I have the same number with a new expiry date. I went into Amazon and updated the card and still have the problem. The exact message I get is "You do not have a valid default crest card for your Amazon.com account. You can set up your credit card now on //www.amazon.com/cd by selecting "settings". As I said I went into Amazon and updated my card and still have the problem. I also followed the steps you suggested and still no success.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Are you using the 1-Click settings? Perhaps you still have the old card set as the default. Look under "Self-Service" on the right hand side of this page for "1-Click Payment Settings" and click on that. Let me know what you find...