MD.SADIQUE
MD.SADIQUE, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer,2yrs+exp as circuit analyst.
22727371

My husband has not used his Kindle in years. We are trying

Customer Question

My husband has not used his Kindle in years. We are trying to charge it, it doesn't respond, no light, held start button down, no response.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Hello, and sorry you're having problems. The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 40 FULL seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot. Do not press anything else during that minute. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times. If this does not work then please reply back with the model of the Kindle and if the screen flashed- even for a second during that minute after the button was released. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
model no. D00901
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Screen says "empty battery."
No response.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Did you follow ALL of those steps above, and also I asked about what the screen did after you tried those steps (which included 15 minutes of charging and the reboot again). The reason it needs to be done in those exact steps is that is the only thing you can try on a user level beyond servicing the unit. So are you looking to replace the battery yourself?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Actually, hold on....
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
On that specific model there is a reset underneath the back cover near the battery. Press and hold that for 10 seconds using a straightened paper clip and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Screen had no change, after charging, and holding down start button.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
am I removing the cover to get to this reset button?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Yes, please reference: "....there is a reset underneath the back cover near the battery."
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is no reset button
Expert:  MD.SADIQUE replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. I am another expert and will love to assist you with your problem.
In your model the power button slides to the right.
Lets try resetting your kindle(d09001) by following the steps below :1) Slide the power switch to the on position(to the right) and hold it there for 30 seconds,then release the switch.2) Please press and hold your kindle for atleast 30 seconds.If you only hold the Power button to the right for only 5 to 10 seconds you'll just turn the unit OFF. So,you have to hold the power button to the right for at least 30 seconds.Tell me how it goes!