Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My nook display is not coming up, even after pressing the on/off butto

Customer Question

My nook display is not coming up, even after pressing the on/off button for 30 secs. After starting, nothing appears on the display, except for a faint glow - which is visible in a dark room.
I know the touchscreen is not fully busted off, because when I touch it at various places, it sounds the welcome message, and also beeps. After some time, it says "Screen off, ringer 40%". Since the display is off, I am unable to make any changes to the settings.
Any ideas how to switch on the screen?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Hello, and sorry you're having problems. Please try the reset below which is slightly different than the one you've tried. Press and hold the power button on the Nook for 45 full seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot. Do not press anything else during that minute. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated THREE times for it to force a reboot.If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Nook into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.If that does not work, then please reply back with the specific model of Nook that you have and also the age of the unit.Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The attempt the reboot three times didn't work. I'm waiting the 15 minutes. It's been 10 minutes.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Okay, and if that doesn't work, I will need the model and age of the Nook.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Reboot attempts after unplugging and waiting 15 minutes failed
Model # ***** - Approximately 2 years old
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Sorry to hear that. What exactly is happening on the display after the reboot? Does it flash and show your home page, is it locked up, etc.?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Per my first message, after starting, nothing appears on the display, except for a faint glow - which is visible in a dark room.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
After some time, it says "Screen off, ringer 40%"
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
So the same thing. Okay got it. Here is one last method to try- but it accesses the factory reset menu (and clears the device so your books will need to be transferred through your account onto the Nook gain. This is per Nook and is a last ditch effort to try to restore functionality to the device. Let me know what happens. Press and hold the power button, and then press and hold the “Home” (“n”) key will still holding the power button down. The screen flashes, and then the message, “Touch the Future of Reading” appears.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried that. No luck!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i need a way to get the screen on.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately that's it then- the device has failed and there are no adjustments or settings to fix it. There's nothing I can do beyond giving you those reboot procedures except put you in touch with a repair service, or suggest purchasing another Nook. You can't get the screen on if the screen is not responding to the reboot.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So I can assume there will be no charge.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. I'm simply an AV technician. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.***
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not receive any assistance. Thank you for your time. I do not think I should be billed.