Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Several years of occasional experience with aspects of E-Reader technology.
13568747

My kindle has frozen. I have tried holding the power button

Customer Question

My kindle has frozen. I have tried holding the power button for over a minute; recharged it and tried again. The light has remained yellow after over 1 hour charging.
Category: E-Readers
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Try charging it for a longer time. Say, 3 hours to 6 hours on the charger.

The battery might simply be in a marginal state, or polarized, or otherwise in need of a prolonged charge. As for 'locking up' or 'locked up' - please describe that further, in a little more detail, so that I can advise you further. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This did not work. I have left the kindle charging overnight and the yellow light is still on.
By locking I mean that the last page I read in a book is showing on the screen and whatever I do (holding the power button for minutes, charging, tapping the screen etc etc, the same page remains visible and nothing else happens)
I believe I will have to buy another kindle

Would you like to try a complete erase of the Kindle (of have you already tried that) ?

If so, remember that the books you have loaded on it can be re-downloaded from your account with Amazon (or other sellers of e-books, by and large), but the personal notes etc. would be lost that way.

And a complete reset may be done as follows:

Menu - Settings

Menu - Reset Device

tap on Yes.

1-***-***-**** is the number for Kindle support at Amazon.com, if you need it, and otherwise.

If this completely answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cannot rate your response as you don't appear to understand what I have already told you. I would love to do a complete reset and would have done this before posting my question if I could.
How do I get to 'menu'or settings' if my kindle is stuck on one screen and whatever I do it will not change?!?!

If the screen is stuck, then you have no recourse to menu options, of course.

First, is your Kindle at, at least, 40 % power capacity?

If so, try this:

Hold the Power switch for 20 or 30 seconds, to try a hard reset or total reset.

When you release the switch, immediately hold down the Home button.

Wait for the Kindle screen to flash.

Then allow it plenty of time to reboot, at least several minutes.

After which, the Kindle has failed in all that I can offer, I'm sorry to have to say it. Call the Kindle Support number, they will know of anything else that might be done.