Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert

My kindle will not charge....

Customer Question

My kindle will not charge....
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Ce.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have tried this before with no luck!
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

The timing here is critical, less than 20-30 seconds will not work.

Repeat the process again, several times. It may take 4-5 tries to take effect.

If no change, that points to a bad battery or other hardware fault.

The next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I really do not want to pay an additional $20 - I have repeated the reboot process - one thing is that the kindle turned off due to low battery while I was reading a book. I have tried over and over again to charge the kindle the orange lite appears, disappears from time to time a green light and when it has flashed on for a few seconds the battery isn't showing any charge including having it plug in to charge over night.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

You do not need to pay more, than is an optional feature you may ignore if not wanted.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Please complete the specific steps I requested - plugging it into the computer and leaving it there for a few hours, then the remaining reset while still plugged to computer.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?