Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Several years of occasional experience with aspects of E-Reader technology.
13568747

My brother gave me s deceased wife kindle. He does not know

Customer Question

My brother gave me his deceased wife kindle. He does not know the password..
Category: E-Readers
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Model # ***** FCCIDZEE1013
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The regulations (in point of practical possible things to do) with regard to Kindle ownership are unfortunately rather restrictive. I will just rough out what goes:

There are online accounts with Amazon.

There are Kindle devices.

And there are 'registrations' of Kindle devices to Amazon accounts.

The way it works is roughly as follows:

- a Kindle device can be registered to one owner's Amazon account online.

- a Kindle device is thus associated with that online account.

- This protects against theft of the Kindle device, taking the online Amazon account's books possessions and privileges (and, billing for purchases!) with it, in that one can de-register the Kindle from the account, leaving the thief of the Kindle having nothing but a non-registered device and whatever book(s) is/are on it at the time - if that much, since the thief may not be able to even log on to the device.

Unfortunately this means, that unless your brother's deceased wife de-registered the device from her account, you have no rights on the device. The most you can do is, completely reset the Kindle (if possible), wiping all stuff in general off the Kindle device. And try to register it to your own Amazon account (if that is possible.)

In general, this illustrates a problem with intelligent digital devices, and their ownership and privileges post-mortem. What is the legal status of a deceased person's laptop password, for instance? who 'owns' your brother's deceased wife's Amazon account, esp. if access to it cannot be regained by people without administrative privilege on the Amazon.com system (if even they can regain access to it) ? this is not clear to me... but I am not an expert in the legalities of post-mortem property.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for trouble.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.

If you need further explanation or details, or a re-phrasing of my answer, please let me know, and I will willingly re-state it in different terms.