E-Rusty
E-Rusty, Technician
Experience:  E-Reader expert. Let me help you with your device.
63817454

My NOOK Color (Version 1.4.3) is not being recognized by my

Customer Question

My NOOK Color (Version 1.4.3) is not being recognized by my ASUS Decktop Computer, (M51AC). It was working fine until a few days ago. The NOOK is being charged but just dose'nt show up in Adobe Digital Editions. What is the problem?
Category: E-Readers
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do not text me as I ccannot receive texts with my present telephone system.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem may be quite simple, really. When a USB-cable-connected device gets power, charges up with that power, but is not recognized as a device by the computer, then the Data lines (2 out of the 4 lines in a USB cable) is one or both of them occluded by dirt, broken, cut/snapped, or otherwise defective.

So:

1. take an old (but clean, and dry) toothbrush, and scrub out the USB ports (with the power Off!) and the USB plugs of your USB cable. Then try again.

This problem commonly is caused by dirt, even just a little, or sometimes a slightly loose or slightly strained cable.

Also try a different USB port on the computer, or several of them. USB ports should be all alike, but very often are not in actual fact.

And as the last thing to try, swap out the USB cable for another one. Esp. if it looks strained, was yanked on at any time, or is severely (and/or repetitively) bent at any point.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just received your answer to my question re my Nook and my computer not recognizing my Nook color. I had previously tried each of your suggested fixes to no avail. both new cable and USB hubs (I have 6 or 7 of them) have been changed and I know that the Nook is on my computer as an additional drive but still no luck. Also it appears other Nook Color users have experienced the same problem without determining the solution.

Are you using a USB hub on the line, whether a passive (unpowered) or active (powered, with its own AC Adapter) hub ? if so, try connecting the Nook *directly* to the USB port(s) on your computer. A hub can disable some USB devices... though it really shouldn't, it does.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am sorry that I myself cannot offer Live Phone Call service at this time. (However, other Experts in this category may still take up the offer at any time.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still no solution has worked please see if any of the other experts might offer help.

At your suggestion, I have Opted Out. That opens the case to other Experts who might offer other suggestions.

(I am still reachable meanwhile, and if you post again, I can respond.)

Expert:  E-Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm unclear as to what is happening, you say that it IS showing up on your computer as a drive, correct? Is it just not showing up in your software?