E-Rusty
E-Rusty, Technician
Experience:  E-Reader expert. Let me help you with your device.
63817454

I recently heard there was a Kindle that I could upload a

Customer Question

I recently heard there was a Kindle that I could upload a document and then the Kindle would handle it as an audio book.
As a writer I am most interesting in purchasing this type of Kindle so I could upload my manuscript and hear it read and then do edits.
Is there such a Kindle?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  E-Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. There is an app for Kindle that does just that. The Audacity app for Kindle will turn text into speech, click here.

The other way is to publish your book through Amazon for $2.99, and it will turn your text into speech, click here.

There is also a website where you can copy and paste your work into the website. I'm unsure of how many words it will take at one time, but it's free and worth a shot, click here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I wasn't really clear. I understood there was a kindle where I could upload my book-in-progress as a word doc and then the Kindle audio would read it back. Just having an audio ability is only have of what I need. First I have to be able to upload my manuscript (not an e-published book). Next step is to have it read to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't know an app could be added to my Kindle Fire. I've been assuming I need a new version of Kindle
Expert:  E-Rusty replied 1 year ago.

No, it's an Android tablet, it can install all sorts of apps. That means that multiple Kindles can do the same thing. The only real difference is how books are displayed, the features that come with the Kindle out of the box, the size, and the amount of storage. Have you tried the second suggestion? I think that is what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do NOT want to publish my books. Simply upload a "draft" from my computer probably via Word Doc. Maybe PDF--or something else I'm not aware of
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rusty--Perhaps you've had a day off (That's allowed!) but I haven't heard back from you yet.
Expert:  E-Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I usually take Sundays off, I work the rest of the days. My third suggestion is a way to turn text into speech, have you tried that? It doesn't publish your book, it simply turns text into speech. http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow-- this sounds just right! Without reading all the directions right now (and I will before I sit down and actually do it), I'm assuming I can listen to my manuscript right from my computer.Two questions:Do you know how many words I can give the program at one time?Is there a fee involved.Thanks for this tip
Expert:  E-Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, I just tried pasting a chapter, and it limited to 1,000 characters. Other than that it works great. The first suggestion Audacity, download that app, and follow the instructions. It may be more what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay -- I will attempt to get the Audacity app on my Fire. Since I don't have a cell phone, much less an I-phone, I've never gone thru the process of getting an App on anything. Will there be instructions at the Audacity site? And, exactly what is their correct address?Thanks for sticking with me on this.
Expert:  E-Rusty replied 1 year ago.

First, click here and get the app. The app is the directions on how to use Audacity. Then, download Audacity from www.audacity.sourceforge.net to get the program and start using it.

Expert:  E-Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Oops, click here for the app.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rusty--Thought I already thanked you for staying with me till we found something I could use. I won't actually have time to try it till after Thanksgiving.Have a good turky day.Patti
Expert:  E-Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Patti, sorry for the automated emails, once you rate 5 stars they will stop sending. It will not close the question, you can still reply to me at no extra charge. Happy turkey day to you too!