Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert
59725966

My Kindle is fully charged but will not open or start-up?

Customer Question

Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 25 seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.

If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.

NOTE:
_____

This clears up the issues you're having 90% of the times, but in the rare case that it does not, the problem may go deeper than a software issue. If this is the case, please reply back with the specific model number off of the back of the Kindle, and also how long you've had the Kindle for, and I will continue to assist you.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like I am getting ripped off, is this a scam, I am a senior citizen and just want to be able to read my books on my kindle. Your rebooting did not work, I have tried it 8 times and my charge light indicates a green light. I am not going to pay more for a telephone call when you cannot help me with simple written instructions. Now what do I do to get this Kindle to work?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. It looks like Aric has opted out of the question and is no longer involved.

To your point - no, this is not a "scam", it is a legitimate support service, helping thousands of people daily with questions just like yours. It is intended to be an ongoing conversation though, not necessarily an instant fix.

You may see a call offer, but it is just that, an optional offer and is not required, we can certainly continue here in the chat format.

Since the initial steps did not help, it would tend to indicate that there is an internal hardware problem with the kindle (bad battery, faulty charging circuit, bad control board, etc).

There are many variables here, and ultimately not all issues can have a definitive "fix", though I'll go through all the possibilities with you to diagnose the problem and proceed as appropriate.

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.