Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My name is ***** *****. My Kobo is stuck in the sleeping

Customer Question

Customer: Hello my name is ***** *****. My Kobo is stuck in the sleeping mode. I have charged it both with the wall and computer chargers,nothing. I tried the paper clip in the little hole, nothing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had finished my book,set it down it went into sleeping mode and now can't get it to respond to anything. I have not dropped it and have only read one book on it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to E-Readers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes I can
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Charge the Kobo for at least 4 hours.

Then slide the power button to the right and hold it for at least 10 seconds.

If it isn't charging, try using a different Micro USB cable or a different charging cable.

Let me know if that works for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I have tried a different charger and nothing. It is still in sleeping mode.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is there any sign of life from the Kobo at all? Any blinking light?

If you shine a bright light on the screen, can you see a faint image?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no blinking lights, the last book that I finished reading is still showing on the screen. Above it says sleeping and below the title page it's says 99%read. About 0 min to go
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then either the battery or the charging circuitry has failed, and the reader will need to be returned for repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, figured it was something big.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If your Kobo is still under warranty, you can return it for a free repair:

http://download.kobobooks.com/learnmore/kobo1_pdf/Kobo_eReader_Warranty.pdf

Even if it is no longer under warranty, it is still worth requesting a free repair - you may still get one in order to keep your custom.

Best,

Pete.