Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert
59725966

I bought a "new" simple touch on ebay that has turned out to

Customer Question

I bought a "new" simple touch on ebay that has turned out to be a store tester. I can't figure out how to erase it and enter my own account. Am I able to, or did I waste $90?
Category: E-Readers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The owner is "Test Nookuser", account***@******.***, software version 1.1.5, model number BNRV350
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

As long as you're able to power it on and access menu/setup, you can go into the Account section of the menu, then you should find deregister or restore defaults to wipe it clean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The erase and deregister option in the settings isn't highlighted and doesn't respond.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That usually indicates the nook is hardware locked, which is a typical restriction for a store use device.

Plug the nook into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The nook will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That will take me a few minutes - I'll let you know when i've done it!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

If that still doesn't work, then the nook is locked down. The only way around that is to "root" it, meaning to hack the firmware and install an aftermarket operating system.

Should it come to that, you're really better off just returning the nook to the seller on ebay and starting over.

Personally, I'd recommend a Kindle rather than a nook. They are much better supported, have a wider range of content/apps available, and are just more reliable hardware overall. You can get one for the same price, and there is even a nook app you can use if you have existing b/n books you've bought. http://amzn.to/1OEJZan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have kindle on my ipad but I LOVE my first Nook! So I bought this Simple Touch, and am now having this problem - definitely NOT giving the seller positive feedback for calling it "New"! Anyway, I'm not sure this is working. When I press the power button for 60 seconds it just restarts. I tried opening the Nook on my computer and clicked on "clean up", but it doesn't seem to be doing anything....but it hasn't been 3-5 minutes yet, either. My bet is that it's locked and I will have to try and return it to the seller - wish me luck!! Lol!! Thank you for your help!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you!