Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert
59725966

My kindle won't swipe to open.

Customer Question

my kindle won't swipe to open.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn"t work. I cannot get it to swipe.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Please repeat the process, at least a few more times. It can take 4-5 tries for the reset to take effect.

Clean the screen as well (preferably just with a dry microfiber cloth),

and if that still doesn't work, it would tend to indicate a hardware failure, meaning that the digitizer (touch sensor) is faulty. However there is a deeper reset we can try next, if needed.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned the screen with microfiber cloth and restarted 4 different times for a minute or more each time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried another time and still not fixed? What next?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what you said but it told me it didn't load anything.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I expected it would just come back on. Just press the power button once to turn it back on yourself.

Then see if the screen will respond .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came on but won't swipe without using my finger to push a couple of times.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

So it does eventually let you swipe to open?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That at least sounds like an improvement over what you had before.

Once it is open, are you able to navigate by touch at all, through the menus, settings, library, etc?

Which model do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kindle Fire HD. You have to hit it several times with your finger to highlight an action then it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't navigate with a single touch.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if that same issue is persisting even after all the reset steps, then we've got a faulty/failing digitizer.

That is the layer over the screen that senses touch.

This is something that would require repairs to correct.

In that event, your best recourse will be to contact Amazon kindle service directly, at 866\321\8851. Even if past the warranty, Amazon usually has very good customer service, and will often offer a credit/trade in toward a new or refurbished kindle model.

When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased.

You can of course pursue repairs on your own as well. It is about a $30 part, if you are handy with electronics repairs and up for doing it yourself. Otherwise, total repairs at a local repair shop (usually a cell phone or laptop shop) will be in the $75 range. At that point, you're generally better off buying a new kindle with a fresh warranty for not much more.

If you'd like help with parts, repair shops, or replacement suggestions instead, just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any more help with this? I'm happy to advise further, if so.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgwli

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,