Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  Vice President of an Electronics Repair Company
329447

I have had my Kindle years. Recently my credit card expired

Customer Question

I have had my Kindle for several years. Recently my credit card expired and I went on Amazon and updated it. However, when I try to purchase a book on my Kindle it keeps showing the old expiration date and won't let me purchase a new book. Can you help me?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Plug the Kindle inso we know it has a good power source.

Your Kindle will either have a button that you push to turn on, or a slide that you 'slide' to turn on.

So press or slide that button in the ON position and hold it there for 45 full seconds.

This will reset the Kindle.

Then try to purchase a book and let me know what happens.

I'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The page comes up with "Your default 1-click payment setting" and shows the old information. I says "For your convenience, all Kindle transactions are completed with 1-click. Please choose a credit card below to use as your default 1-click credit card for ongoing Kindle purchases." It has the information on my card with the old expiration date.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let's check something.

Go back into your Amazon account on the computer and when you are in there, quickly check that the books listed under 'My Account' are the ones on your Kindle and also, under 'My Devices' your Kindle is listed.

I'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done that. There is nothing listed. I don't know why because it has worked fine to purchase books in the past. Also, my Kindle is not listed either.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Right - as I thought. You have inadvertently opened a second account. You are upsdating an account with no Kindle associated with it. You need to figure out the email and password ***** your ORIGINAL account, log into that and set up credit card info.

So...the $64000 question: do you know the ID and PW for the original account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. I could take guesses or is there a way to get that info?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you at least know which email is being used? You would have Amazon emails in that account on your computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The email address was***@******.***. I have a different computer now and I really don't know much about computers so I don't know how to look for the emails to that account.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok but can you still access that email account. In other words, if I sent an email to that address, would you receive it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I wouldn't.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Would you remember the password ***** would have used to open up the original Kindle account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure but it may have been Grandkids4 or Grandkids5
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what I want you to do is - on your computer, go to www.amazon.com and LOG OUT.

When you have done that, try logging IN again using that karenann email and one of those passwords.

This is on the computer. Not the Kindle.

See if you can log into that account. If you can we can update the credit card info and you can change the email address.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to log into that account. I haven't updated the credit card info yet. I did change the email address. I'll go back and change the card info. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. I'm glad we got it sorted out. If you would take a few seconds to rate my service that would be appreciated.

Have a great Sunday and happy reading.