Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. E-Reader Expert.
23511658

I bought a Sony e in Dec.13. Model PRS T3. Does the e reader

Customer Question

I bought a Sony e in Dec.13. Model PRS T3.
Does the e reader store upwards of 1000 books?
At time of purchase I was provided with a "Reader for PC". I have downloaded about 220 books into that library but last time I put in a new book, the last one purchased dropped out. Is there a definite number this library will hold?
How do I get more books onto my reader if the Reader PC programme is full?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. There is no way to calculate how many books the E-reader will hold- since all books are of different length. However the reader should be holding upwards of 1000 books.

If the Reader dropped a book, when there were only 220 average length books, then it's possible the reader simply needs to be reset:

RESET:

Soft Reset

IMPORTANT: A soft reset can be performed anytime and will resolve most issues.

1. Locate the reset button access hole. It is labeled RESET and, depending on your model, can be found on the back or bottom of your Reader device.
  2. Using a thin object such as a paper clip or stylus (included with touch models), press the RESET button.
  3. The screen will not change after pressing the RESET button. You must now slide the POWER switch or press thePOWER button (PRST1 only) to turn on the Reader device again.

There is also local memory in the device in the form of an SD card- so even if the reader is full- you can remove the card, and insert a new one then begin storing onto that card. The reader can accept up to a 32G SD card which can be purchased at Best Buy for about $20:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-32gb-microsdhc-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-red-gold/3896301.p?id=1219094118638&skuId=3896301&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=3896301&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!103813135719!g!!57195999759&kpid=3896301&k_clickid=e5bfdd32-2690-4387-b59c-cc7d74cb5cde&kpid=3896301&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=e5bfdd32-2690-4387-b59c-cc7d74cb5cde&ksprof_id=14&ksaffcode=pg8189&ksdevice=c

The following link offers some notes regarding the SD card on this model Reader as well:

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/reader/PRST3/EN/contents/09/02/06/06.html

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric, the dropping out is happening on my computer in the "Reader for PC, not the reader itself. I can't seem to load any more books into the computer. I buy them in, download them but they won.t import into the Reader for PC library for me to transfer them to my reader. Sorry I didn't explain more clearly.
Jan
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can provide you with some additional assistance.

Sony claims that this model will hold up to 1200 books, but the actual limitation is based on the 2 MB of memory. So the number of books will vary based on how large or small the books are in the size of the file. There is no finite limit on the number – it's actually capable of storing in excess of 65,000 items, so the number of documents is not the limiting factor – the memory is. So it is possible for it to be full with 220 books. It just depends on the size of the files.

This device does have the ability though, to take additional memory in the form of a microSD card. You can get microSD cards that are fairly large in capacity, so if the size is limiting you a 32 GB microSD card for example, would allow you to store 16 times the number of books that the basic memory allows you to store.

Please let me know if you still questions.