AnswerManRob
AnswerManRob, Top Technician
Experience:  Kindle Expert. 20 yrs repairing & 5 yrs teaching electronics
24991566

My kindle seems to be stuck on the screen with the message

Customer Question

hi. my kindle seems to be stuck on the screen with the message "slide and release the power switch to wake." I consulted the Kindle users instructions, held th epower switch on for 15 seconds but nothing happened.
Help! I feel lost without my Kindle.
Sandy
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
Sandy this must be a first generation kindle please hold the power switch over to the right until you see the screen flicker OR for 50 seconds then release whichever comes first.
Let me know if that works or not please
If it does a positive rating is appreciated thank you
Regards
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing happened, I tried it twice.
Expert:  AnswerManRob replied 1 year ago.
It's possible that the charging circuits are glitched. Try a deeper reset. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 30 minutes. After that AND WHILE STILL PLUGGED IN, press or slide and hold the power button for 30 seconds. After that, try using it. Let me know the approximate purchase date if it still fails to function.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I"ll try that. I'll keep this chat open.
I will be here. Just make sure you do NOT unplug the charger throughout the process. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing, I followed your process from beginning to end. Now what?
What is the model number of your Kindle and approximately when did you purchase it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would I look for the model number? I have the 5th edition of the user guide if that helps. A friend gave me this Kindle when she upgraded to the paper white edition. so maybe 4-5 years ago it was purchased?
It should be on the back. In VERY small letters beginning with D0.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model D00901, yes VERY small!
Try updating the software using the link below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&nodeId=200529700&tag=thcosezo-20&linkId=H3MFFMBPX43HQOYJ
Use the manual method. Hopefully it unfreezes it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the instructions start6 with "using the kindle keyboard..." and I cant get to the keyboard!
The manual update does not. Here's the direct link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&nodeId=201177360&tag=thcosezo-20&linkId=F6LWZMOOBA6XIXNF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I look at the downlads I don't see any for serial numbers that begin with D, they are all B??
B is serial number. D is your model number. I would try one of the B's. At this point, you have nothing to lose. Choose one. ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's dead, thanks for your help. Can you please tell me the cost for this?
It looks like it was $31 or so. You can very possibly contact Amazon and they'll allow you a trade in at a reduced price if it's not reacting at all. A new Kindle will allow you to gain access to all previous purchases. If you have a tablet or phone you wish to read on, you can do that as well WITHOUT a Kindle. Just let me know if you wish to pursue that option and I'll assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks but I think I'm going to check out kindles in a retail setting< I'm a visual, hands on person. I like to see the various options. thanks for your help.
No problem. A pleasure working with you.