Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My kindle will not connect to the wi fi. I have had it over

Customer Question

My kindle will not connect to the wi fi. I have had it over a year and this has never been a problem. Now it is asking for a password ***** never set up.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. The password ***** asking for is either your WI FI password (password ***** go onto your home network, which if you never setup would be the SSID on the sticker on the router), or it's asking your Amazon password ***** it will occasionally do to simply keep you logged in. This would be the same password ***** use when you go to www.amazon.com on a PC to log in.
Additionally, this can also be caused by a software glitch in the Kindle. So please first check the things mentioned above (enter your router password ***** that's what it's asking you for, and also try your amazon password), and the proceed with a reboot as follows:
. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 25 seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.
If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.
This clears up the issues you're having 90% of the times, but in the rare case that it does not, the problem may go deeper than a software issue. If this is the case, please reply back with the specific model number off of the back of the Kindle, and also how long you've had the Kindle for, and I will continue to assist you.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please keep in mind that we are all independent Techs on here, working on our own time, and are only credited a portion of the deposit one we are rated POSITIVELY.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to try this now.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, simply try all of those things, then reply back with the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the ssid the security pin?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I've never heard it called a security pin. What's the make and model of your router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
netgear n 300 wnr2000
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Find the reset button on the back of the router, press and hold it with a paperclip for 5 seconds.
Reboot the Kindle as described above.
Once it reboots see if it asks for a password ***** If so, the router's default password ***** "password". Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck. I will try plugging it in for 15 minutes. I will have to leave the house in the next 1/2 hour. How do I reach you again?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I understand and no worries. You can reply back here at anytime by:
1) Bookmarking the page/Adding to Favorites.
2) Logging onto www.justanswer.com and clicking on "My Questions".
3) Clicking on one of the links in the e-mail notifications the site sends you.