PramitP
PramitP , Engineer
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

I have a Kindle purchased on June 6, 2012 the screen has frozen

Customer Question

I have a Kindle purchased on June 6, 2012 the screen has frozen what do I need to do?

Pam
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

Hi Pam,

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I will try my best to get your Kindle working.

This happen mostly due to some problem in the firmware. First reset your Kindle by pressing or sliding and holding the power switch(at the bottom) for 30 seconds. Release the power switch. This will reboot the Kindle. If it still doesn't work, plug the charger for 10 minutes and while it is plugged, try the reboot process. Let me know if it helps. If it won't work, we'll see what can be done.

Please post back with the results.

Regards,

Pramit

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that earlier and it does not work.

Pamela

Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.
Lets try the following.

Connect the Kindle to charger for 10 minutes and while it is plugged, try the reboot process.

Also, could you please try sliding for 60 seconds instead of 30? Try it atleast 3 times if it doesn't work for the first time.

Let me know if there is any change.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still not working

Pamela

Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

Did you try connecting it to the charger for 10 minutes?

If not, then please try charging for 10 minutes and while it is being charged, reset your Kindle by pressing or sliding and holding the power switch(at the bottom) for 30 seconds. Release the power switch. Try it 3-4 times.

If it doesn't work, then unplug from charger, reset your Kindle by pressing or sliding and holding the power switch(at the bottom) for 60 seconds. Release the power switch. Try 3-4 times.

Let me know if there any change.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I charged it last night, and have charged it since we have been chatting. I have tried to reset while I had the charge plugged in and without it being plugged in. The green light comes on without the charger, but it does not reset. When the charger is plugged in the light remains orange. The screen continues to be frozen. I guess since the warranty has expired I guess I am expected to purchase a new Kindle.

Pamela

Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

Did you try holding the power switch for 60 seconds? If not, then kindly try that.

Also, connect the Kindle to you computer USB port for 10 minutes and while it is plugged, try the reboot process.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, duh... I can follow directions. The green light blinks and then goes out completely.

Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

My bad!

Connect the Kindle to you computer USB port for 10 minutes and while it is plugged, try the reboot process. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried connecting to the USB port before I contacted you. It still does not work. I am getting frustrated and cannot even spell or type now.

Sorry

Pamela

Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

Ok, it seems like there is internal failure which in with the hardware.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear but I will try my best to present the "not-a-good news" in an acceptable manner.

Now, there are two options, one is contact Amazon, who might provide you discount on next purchase of Kindle and the other option is buy another E-Reader.

There is no point in repairing because it will cost you a new Kindle. Also, if it were less than a year old then Amazon would have provided you with a new one- free of cost.

I would suggest, call up Amazon and try to get a deal on another Kindle. That way, you will be able to read your old books which are still present in your Amazon account.

By the way, you can get all your books from archives so you won't lose them at all and till you get a new one, you can use your Kindle account on your computer or ipad or laptop to read the books.

You can call Amazon at 1-866-321-8851.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your time. I will consider one of your options.

Have a good day!

Pamela

Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

I am glad I could help you with little options I had.

Please do not rate unless you are not satisfied. A Poor/Bad(1 or 2 Star) Rating affects my profile and performance here. If you feel like rating "Bad Service/I expected more" or "Poor Service/Helped a little", please stop yourself from rating and continue the conversation. I want you to be a happy and satisfied customer. If I have given you anything less than an excellent service, please let me know so that I can assist you further in providing the excellent service you deserve.

If you feel I have helped, please click on any of the smiley faces/stars after the second one from left to accept and rate my answer.

Have a good day and great weekend.

Regards,

Pramit