Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit , E-Readers Technician
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

Kindle fire does not charge when plugged in.

My kindle fire does not charge when plugged in. The kindle states that the battery is too low and needs to be plugged in, when it is. What is wrong?

I tried another charger to see if the one that came with it was at fault. The light will not come on when plugged in.

Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 3 years ago.

Sometimes your Kindle can be unresponsive (won't charge) and keep you from using the device properly.

Don't panic, there are several procedures that can fix this problem.

Please follow the steps below to reset your device:

1. Press and hold (or slide and hold) the power button for 30 seconds.

2. After 30 seconds, release the power button.

3. Wait 2 minute, then turn on your Kindle.

4. Try to charge your Kindle. Please try this procedure at least 3 times (if you have leather cover or any other cover remove it).

If the previous procedure doesn't work, perform the procedure below:

1. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 5 minutes.

2. After 5 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power (slide and hold) button for 30 seconds.

3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the Kindle to reboot.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried what you told me to do with my Kindle. It still will not recognize that it is plugged in to charge.

Thanks for the reply.

If none of previous solutions works, this can be a hardware issue on the Kindle (probably bad port - connector between charger and device, bad battery etc.).

When did you purchase your Kindle?

Do you have USB cable to connect your Kindle to computer?

If yes, please connect the Kindle to computer. After 3 minutes (while still connected) press and hold Power button for 30 seconds.

It's not a big deal if you don't have USB cable. The procedure above is called "force restart". Process should restart the Kindle while connected to computer (charging via computer).

Please let me know if that works.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I either don't have that connection or can't find it. This kindle was purchased for me last year as a Christmas present from my family.

No big deal.

First two solutions I have provided you are the most important troubleshooting steps.

I have good and bad news for you (please don't shoot the messenger).

Bad news is that your Kindle is defective. I have provided you with the all troubleshooting steps for resolving this kind of issue (resetting the software, force reset, USB charging). Unfortunately there is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve.

Good news is that your Kindle is still under Amazon warranty. You have to contact Amazon warranty support service at 1-866-321-8851 in order to receive a new Kindle for free. The returning shipment would be free as well. If you need more information please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

You're welcome. I'm glad that I could help.

Thanks for using our service.