Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, E-Readers Technician
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

MY KINDLE ON/OFF BUTTON NOT WORKING,I HAVE TO CHARGE IT VIA

MY KINDLE ON/OFF BUTTON NOT WORKING,I HAVE TO CHARGE IT VIA MY LAPTOP TO USE IT,ONCE ITS LEFT IT WILL GO INTO SLEEP MODE, I THEN HAVE TO CONNECT IT TO LAPTOP SO I CAN USE IT AGAIN.
Welcome!

My nickname is Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

When did you purchase your Kindle?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ASDA SUPERMARKET BROADSTAIRS KENT

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the reply.

Before we start, please let me explain how this service works:
Electronics troubleshooting is not always easy and sometimes I will not be able to find solution for your problem immediately, so if my first answer does not resolve your problem or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD SERVICE or POOR SERVICE (that will result in a permanent negative feedback on my record). Please use "Reply to Expert" button instead.

When you are satisfied or your problem has been solved, please don't forget to rate my answer with GOOD SERVICE or EXCELLENT SERVICE, as this is the only way I get credited for helping you.

•ANSWER•

This problem sounds like a hardware issue (probably bad battery on the device). Before my final answer, let's check every possibility to be sure it isn't something wrong with the software.

Please follow the steps below to reset your device:
1. Press and hold (or slide and hold) the power button for 30 seconds.
2. After 30 seconds, release the power button.
3. Wait 2 minute, then turn on your Kindle.

Please try this procedure at least 3 times (if you have leather cover or any other cover remove it).

If the previous procedure doesn't work, perform the procedure below:
1. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power (slide and hold) button for 30 seconds.
3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the Kindle to reboot.

Please try those solution and let me know if that works. If not, please let me know how old is your Kindle?

If this solution doesn't work or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service. Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button and I'll provide you with the next step.

Kind Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

didn't work. about 12 months

Thanks Ronald.

Next troubleshooting step:

Please connect the Kindle to computer using USB cable. After 3 minutes (while still connected) press and hold Power button for 30 seconds. When Kindle turns on, remove USB cable.

The procedure above is called "force restart". Process should restart the Kindle while connected to computer (charging via computer).

Please let me know if that works. Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Didn't work, whenconnected to laptop charging on screen, when I disconnect cable from kindle it then turns on, but power button not working.

Thank you.

Robert, I have good and bad news for you (please don't shoot the messenger).

Bad news is that your Kindle is defective. I have provided you with the troubleshooting steps for resolving this kind of issue (resetting the software, force reset, USB charging). Unfortunately there is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve.

Good news is that if your Kindle is still under Amazon warranty (1-year warranty) you will receive a new Kindle for free. The returning shipment would be free as well.

If your Kindle is out of warranty, good news is that Amazon does often replace Kindles out of warranty. At the least they would replace it for less than the cost of repairing.

You will have to contact Amazon customer service at free phone 0800(NNN) NNN-NNNN(or 0800(NNN) NNN-NNNN to arrange replacement.

There is an option that Amazon calls you. Please follow the steps below:

1. Go to the page below - click here
Log in using your Amazon account.
2. Select Kindle > Kindle Device > Problem with my Kindle > My Kindle is damaged or Touch screen doesn't work
3. Click Phone - Call us
4. Enter your number and choice "Call me now" or "Call me for 5 minutes"

Sorry I could not be of any more assistance, but there is no more options we can try online.

If you are not satisfied with my personal service (my effort to help) or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service that will result in a permanent negative feedback on my record (very damaging for me). Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button (just write "I'm not satisfied") and I'll connect your with our refund office.

Kind Regards,
Todd