Viet - E-reader Tech
Viet - E-reader Tech , Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot issues with E-readers.
30037186

cannot connect new kindle fire hd to internet

Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Viet - E-reader Tech replied 3 years ago.

Is this a new kindle?

Is there any error message when connecting the kindle to your Wi-Fi/wireless network name?

What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

Do you have a laptop/wireless computer that is currently connected via wireless? If so, does it have windows xp, vista, or 7?

Can you log in your wireless router and make sure the security mode/type is set to WPA.../WPA2... , or none/disabled, but not WEP?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, I can't seem to get the security info

Please answer all questions.

Is this a new kindle?

What is the kindle asking for on the screen?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, a new kindle fire hd

if I press add network, it wants ssid then security

it says authhentication failed

DLink DIR 601

yes, windows xp

Please connect the computer to the router with an Ethernet/network cable, then go to the website http://192.168.0.1/, and select/enter admin for the username and leave the password XXXXX and log in. Then look for the Set up / Wireless settings option, then select the manual... option if available, get your password/key (it is case-sensitive.)
If needed, there, also, make sure the security option is set to WPA.../WPA2... (or none/disabled, but not WEP.)

Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

cannot get to website 192.168.0.1

Is there any error message?

Can you click on Start, Run and type cmd and click OK. Then type ipconfig and press Enter, then tell me the Default gateway?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

172.27.35.1

Can you go to the website http://172.27.35.1?

Are you sure both the modem and computer are connected to the router?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

modem is connected to router. computer is connected to ooma phone, then to router. 172.27.35.1 says could not be resolved to location

From the computer that is currently connected via wireless
Please right-click on the antivirus/security/firewall program, located at the bottom right of the screen and disable it temporarily if possible,
Then please download
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wirelesskeyview.zip
; if it does not work, try http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wirelesskeyview-x64.zip
Then open it and run the WirelessKeyView.exe file, and select your wireless Network name.
Then to the right, there is key(hex) or key(ascii). This is your wireless password/key.

If that does not work, connect the computer straight to one of the router's Ethernet/LAN ports, then get the default gateway number again, and try that website number.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you mean the same default number as before or get a new one

AFter connecting the computer straight to the router, do this again: click on Start, Run and type cmd and click OK. Then type ipconfig and press Enter, then tell me the Default gateway to see if the default gateway number is XXXXX then try that number for the website. Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ai am back to th 192.168.0.1 which I cannot access

With the computer connected straight to the router, click the website http://192.168.0.1/, then what happens? thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, now on the d-link log in screen

Great now, select/enter admin for the username and leave the password XXXXX and log in. Then look for the Set up / Wireless settings option, then select the manual... option if available, get your password/key (it is case-sensitive.)

Please let me know. Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can't log in leaving password XXXXX says invalid log in

Do you know/remember any password XXXXX can try?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I got in. It says WPA-only. Is "pre-shared key" the password XXXXX? Should I change that? Now it is hidden with ........

Great, yes, please change the pre-shared key to anything you want, then save/apply, and check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the REPLY tab and reply with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well, but now how to I get on wi-fi? Sorry I am still confused. where it says connect to network and i press on that it still says authentification failed.

Sorry, does the kindle fire see your wireless/wi-fi network name?

At the wireless page on the computer, can you change the network / wireless / signal / mode / type / 802.11 ... to G only or N only (or 802.11g, or 802.11n, or 802.11g/n), then save, and check?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So sorry , I played around with it and actually got connected. Thank you so much for all your help and PATIENCE!

Great. You're welcome. Please rate my service. Thank you very much.