Bernie
Bernie , E-Reader Technician
Experience:  6+ years exp, Electronic Systems Professional Alliance
46068869

My Kindle (2nd Generation) screen is not working. There are

My Kindle (2nd Generation) screen is not working. There are lines all over it and the top half of the screen I can't read. How do I get this fixed?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome, my name isXXXXX'm sorry to hear about your problem.

How old is your Kindle, and has there been any physical damage on it?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got my kindle in 2010 and there has been no damage to it.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Nancy, can you slide and hold the power switch for 30 whole seconds, then release it. This resets the unit and it should load back up after several minutes. Lets see if that fixes the issue, if not please let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I held the power switch for 30 sec. and it hasn't change anything. I can still only read the bottom half of my kindle.
Expert:  Bernie replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes this issue arises if there is a leather cover on the Kindle, if you are using one please remove it for now. Then plug your Kindle into the charger, make sure the charging light comes on (let me know if it doesn't), and charge for 10 minutes. Finally with the charger cable still plugged in press and hold the power switch or button for 1 minute, then release. Give it several minutes to load back up again and see if that fixes it.

If not, unfortunately this points to hardware failure on the device. Since it's out of warranty, it really would not be cost effective to repair it due to the labor involved, your best bet is to have a replacement shipped out to you. You can do this for a trade-in fee, please call Amazon at 1-866-321-8851. Amazon may be able to give you a discount on a replacement. Another option is to purchase a brand new Kindle starting at $79. You can browse and purchase the new Kindles by clicking HERE. Once you recieve your replacement Kindle or get a new one, you can go to the archives and get access to your books again. If you wish to continue reading your books until a replacment arrives, like on your computer (or an iPad, iPod, or smartphone), please let me know and I can show you how to do that.