Thomas
Thomas, Technician
Experience:  Kindle Expert and PC Technician
62924203

Why Won't My Kindle Connect To My WiFi Network?

My kindle is not connecting to my Wi-fi network.
It says"No Wi-Fi networks were found" even though I am 10' from my working Wi-Fi.
Hopefully this is just a software glitch. Reload the system software by sliding or pressing and holding the power switch for 20 seconds. The Kindle should come back online within 3 minutes. Let me know if it still doesn't detect your WiFi.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Rebooting did not solve the problem

If the Kindle still doesn't detect the WiFi at all, try one more reboot. This time make it the wireless router. Don't reset the router using any reset button; this will lose all the router settings. Simply unplug the router for 30 seconds and plug it back in. See if the Kindle can detect it once it is back on. If it still doesn't, look on the back of the Kindle. You should see a model starting with D0. Let me know what that model is. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still no luck.

The model number is DO1200 .

Alright, so lets see where we are. You have the Kindle Touch. When you try to connect to wireless, it doesn't show your wireless router at all. This router works for other devices in the home, such as laptops. Resetting the Kindle and router doesn't help. Is all this correct?

Is this a new Kindle?

Has it ever been connected to any WiFi source?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Correct. All other devices work fine. My cell phone and my computer and printer work on the WiFi.

I have had the Kindle for about three months.

I have downloaded ebooks in the past without a problem.

There are a number of things we can try, first lets try to setup the connection manually.

1. First, make sure you are within range of the network you want to add, and that you know the network name and password
  2. From the Home screen, tap Menu and select Settings.
  3. Select Wi-Fi Networks to display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks.
  4. Tap Join to enter network details.
  5. Use the onscreen keyboard to enter the name of the Wi-Fi network that you want to add.
  6. Once the Network Name has been entered, tap the Password box and enter Wi-Fi password / Network Key using the on screen keyboard (if required).

Tip: Tap the 123 key to enter numbers or symbols. Tap the ABC key to return to the regular keyboard. Tap the Shift key (up arrow) to enter uppercase characters. Your password may include non-English letters (accents, umlauts, etc.). To view accent options, press and hold a letter down, and accent options appear.
  7. Tap Connect.

If your Kindle Touch fails to connect to the Wi-Fi network, it will display an Unable to Connect message. You can manually enter all the network information for the Wi-Fi network by choosing Set Up when you see the Unable to Connect message.

Once again, let me know if this doesn't work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried it twice.

No luck.

We're gonna get there one way or another. Sometimes telling the Kindle to forget a network will help it pick up on that network again. Try these steps.

1. From the Home screen, tap Menu.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Wi-Fi Networks to display a list of detected Wi-Fi networks. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle Touch detects networks in range.
  4. Tap the name of the network with a tick symbol next to it to disconnect from the network.
  5. Restart the device and see if it will pick it up this time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure what a tick symbol is but, not matter the kindle does not detect ANY WiFi signals.

There are other WiFi signals in the area but my Kindle detects nothing.

Alright, lets see if this is a software or hardware problem by resetting the device to factory settings. This will be as if you just pulled the thing out of the box. Amazon saves all of your purchases on their server so you don't have to worry about losing books.

Press HOME (the real button below the screen) > MENU > settings > MENU > Reset to Factory Settings.

If after it resets to factory the thing STILL doesn't detect WIFI, let me know the approximate purchase date.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

BINGO!!

It now connects to the WiFi.

Thank you. Now, how do I establish my archive list?

I told you we'd get there! Great!

Register with the same amazon.com email address and password ***** last time, and you should see archived items on the home screen. You can also go to Menu > Sync after registration and it should pull your books in.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hit sync and went to a page that did not show me how to retrieve my books.

Log into your account at Amazon.com. In the upper right hand corner, point to your account. Then, click manage your Kindle. You should see a list of purchased books. On the right hand of the page you should see a button that says Actions. Click Actions next to the book you want and click Deliver. Deliver the book to your Kindle, then return to your Kindle and sync again by going to menu and sync. It should work as long as you are connected to WiFi.
If this doesn't work, return to Manage Your Kindle on Amazon.com and visit the Pending Deliveries page. If there is a reason for the non delivery, it should be listed there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was not able to find the books that I had previously purchased on the Amazon site. But, that is no big deal.

I want to thank you for helping me get my Kindle up and running.

I do appreciate it.

Ted

If they aren't listed, then you've registered with a different account than the one that the books were purchased under.

Thanks!