Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  DoD master electronics technician
42300671

I cannot connect to my WiFi with my Kindle fire. It says the

Customer Question

I cannot connect to my WiFi with my Kindle fire. It says the signal strength is good but it won't connect.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Viet - E-reader Tech replied 4 years ago.

Is this a new kindle or was it connecting previously?

What's the error message when connecting the kindle to your wireless network name?

What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

Do you have a laptop/wireless computer that is currently connected via wireless? If so, does it have windows xp, vista, or 7?

Do you know your exact wireless password/security key, if any (it is case-sensitive)?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Kindle is not new. Yes it has been connected up until today.

The error message is "Unabel to connect to (network) Please try again"

The router is a Netgear WNR2000

I have an Inspiron laptop that is connected just fine to the router. Its Windows 7

Yes I know my wireless password.

Please disconnect the power cable from the wireless router for a couple of minutes, then reconnect.

If you have a leather (or any other) cover on the kindle, please remove it.

Please press & hold the power button on the kindle for about one minute, or until the screen flickers. Then wait a few minutes for the kindle to turn back on, and check to see if you can connect to Wi-Fi.

If that does not work, please recharge the kindle for about 5 minutes, and while it is charging, press & hold the power button on the kindle for about one minute again, or until the screen flickers, and check.

If it does not work, I will provide another suggestion.

Please reply. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have already disconnected the router and reconnected it.

I have already turned the Kindle on and off.

The Kindle is fully charged.

It still will not connect. I get the error message.

Please go to the website http://www.routerlogin.net/ , or could be the website http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.0.1/, and login with:
  • Username = admin
  • Password = password

Then click on the Wireless settings option and make sure the security option to WPA2.../WPA... (or None)
Then, there, set the wireless /signal / mode /type to G only or N only (or G/N..., 802.11g, or 802.11n, or 802.11g/n), and save/apply, and check.

Please let me know if it works or not. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no place to change the mode to G or N.

The router is fine because my computer is on the internet and is not having any problems.

My husband's IPad connects fine to the router.

My Kindle used to connect fine.

I think the problem has to be with the Kindle.

Yes, the router is working fine, but making changes on the router may help making it compatible with the kindle. What are all the options at the Wireless settings option?
If you set the Security options to None, then save/apply, does it work? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not want to start changing the settings on the router and have the other devices stop working.

The router was compatable with the Kindle before. That's why I think it is the Kindle.

I do not want to have no security on the WiFi.

Sorry, if you want to try before having to return/exchange the kindle; it's your choice.

I just want to test. Don't worry, you can always change the router settings back and you can always reconnect other devices to your wireless network name.

What are all the options at the Wireless settings option?

Can you make sure the security options is set to WPA2.. and/or WPA..., then save/apply, does it work?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The security was set to WPA.

The Kindle still does not work.

I have had to reboot the router before to get the Kindle to connect. But today no matter how many times I reboot the router the Kindle won't connect.

If you do not have any advice beyond changing the router then we are finished. I will call Amazon for further assistance.

Sorry, the only option is to reset the router, which we did. You can call amazon, but I know they cannot do anything else, except replacing your kindle (the latest kindle may not even work with your router if you don't adjust any setting on it.)

If you want to try, can you set the security options to both WPA2... and WPA....?

What are all other options at the Wireless settings option?

Thank you.