simitpatel
simitpatel, Engineer
Experience:  I own and have dismantled both the Sony E-Reader, and 2 models of the Kindle.
15190142

My Kindle keeps freezing up and does not respond to touch.

My Kindle keeps freezing up where it does not respond to touch. Holding down the start button to force a shut down and restart used to work, but now that doesn't work either. It just remains frozen on the startup page, and the touch slider doesn't work. How can I get it to work right?

Hello.

Do you have the leather cover that hooks into the side of the Kindle? That cover has been known to cause issues with the Kindle. Try removing the cover. Then, Try resetting the Kindle. Make sure the Kindle is unplugged, and then slide the power switch and hold it for 30 seconds. Let me know if that doesn't fix it.

JACUSTOMER-soizvkvx- :
It's a kindle fire, does that make a difference?

simitpatel :
Yes that does. In that case the cover isn't the issue. Plug the Kindle into power. Does the charge light come on?

JACUSTOMER-soizvkvx- :
yes

simitpatel :
OK. Leave the Kindle plugged in for 5 minutes, and then hold the power switch for 30 seconds.

JACUSTOMER-soizvkvx- :
ok

simitpatel :
Did that fix the issue?

JACUSTOMER-soizvkvx- :
should I try to power it back on now?

simitpatel :
Yes.
Hold the power button for 30 seconds.

JACUSTOMER-soizvkvx- :
I'm afraid it still doesn't work. It gets to the opening screen, and the clock is still keeping time, but the slider bar won't open

simitpatel :
If the slider doesn't move, then you may want to try cleaning the screen. Push the power button on the Kindle to turn it off. Then take a cloth, and wet it very lightly, and clean the screen on the Kindle. Then turn it back on and then try the slider again. Sometimes there might be something on the screen that might cause the touch screen to malfunction.

JACUSTOMER-soizvkvx- :
All the way off, or just to sleep?

simitpatel :
Just sleep

JACUSTOMER-soizvkvx- :
I cleaned it. Still no response.

simitpatel :
OK. In that case, the touch screen seems to have failed. The Kindle will need to be replaced. Luckily, it's still under warranty. So all you have to do is call Amazon at the number below. They will likely send you a replacement the Kindle. You will get the replacement in a few days and it will have all your books on it:
1-***-***-****

Let me know if you need any more help with this.

JACUSTOMER-soizvkvx- :
Thanks!

simitpatel :
You're welcome.