Engineer John C., E-Readers Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified
23822421

Cant setup Kobo Touch. This is not my first Kobo, so I already

Can't setup Kobo Touch. This is not my first Kobo, so I already have the desktop app and updated software. Goes straight to 'connected and charged' screen. Have reset device and also a factory reset. No joy...
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Please follow the steps below to Connect your Kobo to your Wireless Network:

1. Press the Home button.

2. Press the Menu button.

3. Select Settings

4. Press the center of the Navigation pad.

5. Select Wireless

6. Press the center of the Navigation pad.

7. If the setting under Wireless Status is Off press the center of the Navigation pad.

8. The eReader will scan the area for any available wireless networks and list them.

9. Select the network you want to join

10. Press the center of the Navigation Pad.

11. Select Join Network

12. Press the center of the Navigation Pad.

13. Enter YOUR wireless network password XXXXX the virtual keyboard. (If you don't remember your wireless network password, OR if you get an error message here, please let me know)

14. To see the password XXXXX you enter it, select Show Password.

15. Select Join Network

16. Press the center of the Navigation Pad.

17. Your eReader will connect to the network.

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't get home menu to come up. Just keeps saying to set up reader, but of course, I can't.

What exact message do you see on the device? (the exact wording please).

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When connected to computer:

Connected and charged

Please eject your ereader before unplugging the USB cable

To set up and registeryour ereader, download free Kobo Desktop Software

My computer is not recognizing the Kobo (the USB ports are fine).

When I tried to do what you first suggested, everything I tried just kept going back to a screen saying:

Please setup your ereader (plus the website for the software, etc.)

OK, "eject" means the following:

1- Go to Start, Computer (from your computer)

2- Then find the Kobo icon, right it click and select "Eject"

Then the Kobo Desktop Software should recognize it.

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no Kobo icon. Kobo device says connected, but computer is not showing it.

OK, please go to Start, then Computer (or "My Computer" if you have Windows XP)

Which icons or drives do you see listed there?

Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
C & D drives, CD Rom and digital camera

OK, that's weird. Please unplug the Kobo from the computer and plug it back to a different USB port.

If no luck, please restart your computer clicking Start, then Shut Down

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did all you suggested , but no change. Trying a new USB cord out of desperation, and it seems to be working.

That's great, I was thinking about the USB port/cable, that's why I asked to change the USB port, didn't know you had also another USB cable to try with.

Thank you

John C.
Engineer John C., E-Readers Expert
Experience: Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified