Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Nook, kindle & ipad expert

how to download music from kindle to computer

Customer Question

Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

Hello, I’d like to help you with your problem. When you are satisfied with my answers, please remember to click on accept.

Customer:

Is this a kindle? Are you trying to transfer musing FROM the kindle TO the computer, or FROM the computer TO the kindle?

Customer :

I AM TRYING TO DOWNLOAD FROM MY KINDLE FIRE PURCHASED MUSIC TO COMPUTER WINDOWS 7 SO THAT I MIGHT BURN CDs. and vice versa

Customer:

if you purchased the music via amazon, you should be able to listen to it, via the cloud, on the amazon player on your computer.

Customer:

However because the songs were purchased, they will have DRM (digital rights/copy protection) attributes attached, so you won't be able to just burn them to a cd. They were purchased for the kindle, and not intended to be used on other devices.

Customer:

If you'd like to give it a try anyway, in case the files are not copy protected, go ahead and plug the fire into the computer via a usb cable. You'll see the kindle appear as a removable drive (like a usb memory stick) in your My Computer. Open it up and look through the sub folders until you find the one for music files, which you can then copy/paste, drag/drop, etc into a folder on your computer.

Customer:

It should be in a directory called music or media.

Customer:

They will typically be .mp3 files, which would generally need to be converted to .wav files to play in most cd players.

Customer :

SOME I CAN AND SOME I CANNOT -- WHEN I LOOK AT THE KINDLE FIRE SOME MUSIC WENT TO CLOUD AND OTHER MUSIC IS IN DEVICE. MY PROBLEM IS WHY THE DIFFERENCE AND SHOULD BOTH DOWNLOAD?

Customer:

Both won't download, because cloud items are not stored on the kindle itself, but rather streams over wifi usually.

Customer:

Those are often free or protected songs, that you won't be able to copy (but can stream via cloud onto the computer, and could try to dub/record while playing back to capture the file)

Customer :

I HAVE CONNECTED THE USB CABLE TO KINDLE AND A WINDOW IT GIVES A ONE WAY DIRECTION THAT I CAN TRANSFER FILES FROM COMPUTER TO KINDLE NOT VICE VERSA??? WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

Customer:

Where do you see a 1 way arrow, there should be no restrictions on moving files both ways. You may try right clicking on the file then COPY then right click in your destination folder to paste the file.

Customer :

WOW - YOU LOST ME WITH THE CONVERS.wavION FROM .mp3 TO .WAV. SORRY BUT YOUR TALKING TO XXXXX

Customer :

I SAW THE ONE WAY DIRECTION ON MY KINDLE WHEN I PLUGGED IN MY USB CABLE.

Customer:

Ok, you can ignore that, that's just a way to tell the computer to "eject" the kindle when it's connected to the computer. Basically that disconnects the communications with your computer, but lets the kindle keep charging over usb, so you can use the kindle while it charges to read a book, etc

Customer :

I DID NOT GET YOUR RESPONSE ON THE CONVERSION OF .mp3 TO .wav?

Customer:

The format of the files is .mp3, when you download/purchase songs.

Customer :

sorry to here that!

Customer:

Most cd players (such as in your car, home stereo, etc) will not play .mp3 files. When you buy a cd from a store, they are in the .wav format, so the files need to be converted using special software on the computer before you burn it to a cd.

Nathan, Technician
Experience: Nook, kindle & ipad expert
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Tony, please let me know if you received my last message. You clicked the accept button which ended our chat, before I could finish typing my response.