AnswerManRob, Top Technician
Experience:  Kindle Expert. 20 yrs repairing & 5 yrs teaching electronics

I purchased a Kindle from Dixons at Gatwick Airport on 12 May

Customer Question

I purchased a Kindle from Dixons at Gatwick Airport on 12 May as a Christmas present.
We opened it on 25 December and charged it up until the green light showed. However, it did not come on when we clicked the switch as instructed. We tried several times but to no avail. The next day we tried again and after a few times it suddenly came on. Thinking the problem was solved, we ordered and loaded a couple of books from Amazon. Then the same problem returned. Now it is frozen and won't even switch off. I phoned Dixons support and they said we must remove the back and press the reset button and if this doesn't solve the problem, return it to the store we bought it from. When I took the back off, I could not even see a 'reset button'. As we live in Portugal, it is impossible to return it to the store until our next visit in May. Can you please tell us what we can do? Do you have a service engineer in the Algarve who could solve the problem?
Can you please help?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Give this a try and see if it helps you reset it.

Flip the Kindle over to see the back cover.

Slide the back cover off of the unit, pressing down using your thumb and pushing outward.

Locate the reset button. The reset button is a small hole near the battery compartment.

Press the button down carefully using a paper clip. Hold it for a few seconds.

Release the button and restart your Kindle.

Expert:  AnswerManRob replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.

Your firmware may be glitched. Try rebooting your Kindle by sliding and holding the power switch for 20 seconds. If you have the newest model, it has a push button. Press it and hold it for 20 seconds. Your Kindle operating system should reload within three minutes. If this does not occur or the Kindle still malfunctions, please let me know. If it corrects the problem, please remember to accept my answer so JustAnswer will credit me with assisting you.