Rod, Engineer
Experience:  Design Engineer, using E-books in system integration.
14090506

my kindle is not holding its charge it loses power less than

my kindle is not holding its' charge it loses power less than 24 hrs
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Which model Kindle do you have?

How long have you had it?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know the model but I got it last feb
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Which one does it look like?

graphic

Do you leave it on all the time?

Do you use WiFi or 3G?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the model no. it is DOO9O1 I do have WiFi in the hse I don't know what 3G is
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

That is the Kindle-3 - it has a keyboard correct?

The first thing to try is to reset the device. Disconnect any charger or USB cable. Power it off, then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Then power it on. Use it until the battery gets low - recharge it, then do a reset again. This should correct any software errors on the charging (software controls the charging state).

Also - to extend the battery life, turn off the WiFi when you are not using it. Even if you let the Kindle go to sleep mode - the WiFi uses power.

After a couple of resets and another charge - if you are still getting premature battery usage - the battery may need replaced, but usually a reset will correct this problem.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks so much that did the trick I have a friend that told me about the WiFi now if I rechg it when its' low battery are you telling me to go thru the instructions that you just told me?
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Use the Kindle as normal now. When it gets low for a charge - charge it - then do one more reset. (Its just a double measure.)

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know this may be a stupid question I only shut off the kindle's WiFi right? not my hse WiFi as you can see I'm not tech but I can take care of you in the emergency room! You have helped me soooo much thank you
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Only shut off the WiFi - you can still use the Kindle - just no new books, when you need that - turn on the WiFi. The WiFi uses your batteries more.

Please remember to click accept - experts only get credit for helping when the customer accepts.

Thanks,
(Use to be an ERT)
Rod, Engineer
Experience: Design Engineer, using E-books in system integration.