Engineer John C., E-Readers Expert
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer and A+ Certified
23822421

MY kindle fire will not register. Keep getting a message unable

Customer Question

MY kindle fire will not register. Keep getting a message unable to connect to the registation server.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Did you purchase this yourself directly from Amazon, or was it a gift for you?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought it at best buy store.
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Do you have an Amazon account?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Go to Amazon.com and login to your account. See if the Kindle Fire is registered under your account (also, sometimes it is easier to register it there) by entering the serial number under My Kindle, Register a Kindle.

You are showing a network connection Okay? You can use the browser (Web Tab) and access the Web?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can not use the brouwser or access the web. I have an x showing by my wi fi symbol on my kindle. I have tryed to register through amazon but did not use my serial number on my kindle.
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

You are not connecting to the internet then with the Fire - do you have a wireless router in your home (WiFi)? If so, do you know the password XXXXX the wireless router?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a mobile Mi Fi from verizon. Password XXXXX
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

When you go to the wireless network settings on the Fire, does your MiFi show up and do you enter the password XXXXX then still get the X?

Do you have more than five devices currently connected?

Do you have good 3G or 4G coverage displayed by your phone?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I go to wireless networking it says it is connected. It is a solid purple color on the mifi device.
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Are you entering the password XXXXX the MiFi? If not, it will connect, but not authorize the device to go to the internet.

Do a manual configuration and enter the password XXXXX the Fire into the network settings.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i get to network settings all i have is wirless network.
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

Select WiFi and then Add a Network - enter you MiFi name and the password.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the x is still on there.
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.

I am not certain what the problem is - it might be a compatibility problem with the Fire and your MiFi adapter.

I will opt out and perhaps another expert can assist. Also, I will request this be sent to Cell Phone category - as those experts may be able to help better with the MiFi adapter.

Thanks,
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Do you have a computer with Windows 7 or Mac OS that can actually connect to your wireless internet? This would help to confirm your wireless network password.

If you have Windows 7, please follow the steps below:

Please follow the steps below from your computer with Windows 7 connected to internet via wireless and you will see the network key:

1- Click Start

2- Click Control Panel

3- NOW, make sure you select "View by: LARGE ICONS" on the upper right corner.

4- Click "Network and Sharing Center"

5- Click "Manage Wireless Networks" on the left

6- Double click your wireless network name

7- Click the "Security" tab

8- Click "Show characters"

9- Now find your password next to "Network security key". Write this password down.

Then, to connect to Wi-Fi follow these simple steps:

1. Tap the Quick Settings icon

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here
    in the top right hand corner of the Home screen.

2. Select Wi-Fi.

3. Ensure Wireless Networking switch is in the on position.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

A list of networks will appear. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle detects networks in range. If your network doesn't appear tap the box next to Wireless Networking off and on to refresh the list.

1. Tap the name of the network you wish to connect to from the list of available networks.

Tip:
    When viewing Kindle Fire in landscape view, you may need to scroll through the list of available networks, using your finger to swipe through the list.

2. If a lock symbol appears next to your network, it requires a password. Enter the characters of the password using the onscreen keyboard. (Here, please enter the password we just got from your computer)

3. Tap Connect.

Tip: Tap the 123!? key to enter numbers or symbols. Tap the ABC key to return to the regular keyboard. Tap the Shift key (up arrow) for uppercase letters.

Once you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, Kindle Fire automatically connects to it again whenever that network is in range. If more than one previously used network is in range, your Kindle Fire automatically connects to the network that was most recently used.

Thank you

John C.