simitpatel
simitpatel , Engineer
Experience:  I own and have dismantled both the Sony E-Reader, and 2 models of the Kindle.
15190142

My Kindle loses its charge almost immediately. Within 2 hours

My Kindle loses its charge almost immediately. Within 2 hours of charging, the green light is off, and the power slide doesn't respond. How do I get the Kindle to hold the charge or is it the power slide?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  simitpatel replied 4 years ago.

simitpatel :

Hello. Let me know when you are ready. Just type into the box below and press enter to reply.

simitpatel :

Do you have the leather cover that hooks into the side of the Kindle?

Customer:

Yes

simitpatel :

That cover causes issues like battery drain. Remove the cover, and you will see your battery life go back to normal.

simitpatel :

Let me know if you need any more help with this. If I answered your question, please don't forget to click the ACCEPT button.

Customer:

Ok I'll try it. Thanks.

simitpatel :

Also, Try resetting the Kindle. Make sure the Kindle is unplugged, and then slide the power switch and hold it for 30 seconds. Let me know if that doesn't fix it.

simitpatel :

If that fixes it, please don't forget to click the ACCEPT button. Any bonuses and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Customer:

How do I reset the Kindle?

simitpatel :

Make sure the Kindle is unplugged, and then slide the power switch and hold it for 30 seconds

simitpatel :

I'm going to step away for about 5 minutse.

Customer:

The screen with the amazon kindle/tree is loading. , and now the items list is showing. I was unable to remove the leather cover, though.

Customer:

I'm not clear on how a leather cover can drain a battery...

Customer:

Thanks for the help.

The metal hooks on the leather cover have a coating. When that coating wears off, it creates electrical shorts inside the Kindle. This causes the battery drain.

To remove the cover, slide thee tab near the top hook down, and remove the top hook. Then you can take out the bottom hook.

Let me know if you need any more help with this.