mgilmore4502
mgilmore4502, Technician
Experience:  Very early adopter of e-readers and e-books. Extensive experience with e-book conversion software.
44751453

I have a Kindle Fire and downloaded a book in .zip file which

Customer Question

I have a Kindle Fire and downloaded a book in .zip file which the Kindle says it can't open. Any solutions?

Thanks, Maurice
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  mgilmore4502 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Maurice:

Unfortunately the Kindle does not have any software included that can decompress the .ZIP file.

This is something that has to be done on a computer and then the resulting file transferred to the Kiindle via USB cable.

There are programs out there for the Kindle to do this, but it requires rooting your device (similar to Jailbreaking an iPhone) to essentially turn it into a regular Android tablet. This is something that's fun and easy to do (but quite time consuming) if you're a geek like me, but most normal people don't have that interest.

If you aren't able to unzip the file yourself, I'm happy to help with that. Just let me know.
mgilmore4502, Technician
Experience: Very early adopter of e-readers and e-books. Extensive experience with e-book conversion software.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I could use your help to unzip the file.
No problem at all.

To send the file to me do this:

Go to ShareSend.com

You will see a screen that looks like this:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Click on the Browse button and find the .ZIP file you want to send to me. Then choose it and click "Upload."

After your file is uploaded, you will see a screen that looks like this:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Copy that link shown in grey (right click / copy) and then paste that link back here in your reply to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Went to share send to browse, but "no files were found". Even though the file is in my Kindle download.
Are you using the browser on your Kindle?

Is there any way to get the ZIP file to your computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went through the "web" button on the menu. I am assuming I am using the Kindle browser.

I don't know if there is a port or way to transfer between the KIndle and PC.
There definitely is, but if you haven't done that before, it is a bit time-consuming to set up. Not difficult, just will take a lot of back and forth between us.

Maybe I can download and unzip the file on my end and then send it back to you for download directly on the Kindle.

Can you give me the link from where you downloaded the file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its a publication that I purchased so I am not sure you will be able to download.
Probably not, and that is what I feared.

Would it be possible for you to re-visit the link on your computer and download the file there?

I can't think of any other way we can accomplish this.