AnswerManRob
AnswerManRob , Top Technician
Experience:  Kindle Expert. 20 yrs repairing & 5 yrs teaching electronics
24991566

My kindle wont turn on. The screen looks like a messed up

My kindle won't turn on. The screen looks like a messed up Etch a Sketch.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  AnswerManRob replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.

This is commonly a hardware failure, but you may have glitched software. Load a fresh operating system onto the Kindle by sliding and holding the power switch for 20 seconds. The Kindle should come back online within 3 minutes or so. If this doesn't correct the problem, let me know if you saw the picture of the tree and the loading progress bar after you held the switch. If it does correct it, please remember to accept my answer so JustAnswer credits me with assisting you today.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There was no progress bar or tree.
Let's try to force a reboot. The battery charging circuits are controlled by the software as well. If the software isn't allowing the Kindle to accept a proper charge, it may cause the Kindle to malfunction too. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes and while still plugged in, slide and hold the switch for up to one minute or until you see the Kindle screen flicker, whichever is shorter. Allow 3 minutes afterward for the Kindle to reboot. If this doesn't correct the problem, let me know the approximate purchase date. If it does correct it, please remember to accept my answer so JustAnswer credits me with assisting you today.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It did not correct the problem. The Kindle was a Dec 2010 gift.
It sounds like you have a hardware failure. Fortunately that is covered by a warranty against material defects.

Contact Kindle Warranty Support at(NNN) NNN-NNNN They will ship a replacement out to you. When you receive it, register it to your Kindle account and you will have immediate access to your books in your archives. If you have any other questions, please ask, otherwise don't forget to accept my answer and have a great day.