AnswerManRob
AnswerManRob , Top Technician
Experience:  Kindle Expert. 20 yrs repairing & 5 yrs teaching electronics
24991566

Hi. My kindle has suddenly stopped picking up my wireless connection.

Hi. My kindle has suddenly stopped picking up my wireless connection. It shows the connect as available but every time I try and connect it comes up with a comment, can't connect to wireless, would you like to enter the password XXXXX or manually set up this network? When I re-enter my password, it comes up with the same message, and when I try and enter network manually it automatically gives me the network name, Connection type as DHCP, Security type WPA (is underlined) but it doesn't show any information in the IP address, Subnet Mask, router, of DNS fields. These are not highlighted, so I can't enter any info. My son's kindle as also stopped accepting wireless connection. We live in Mauritius but it's worked perfectly for the past 3 weeks. Help as not good with computer problems. My other computers are working as usual.
Many thanks
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  AnswerManRob replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.

You may have glitched software. Load a fresh operating system onto the Kindle by sliding and holding the power switch for 20 seconds. The Kindle should come back online within 3 minutes or so. If this doesn't correct the problem, let me know if you saw the picture of the tree and the loading progress bar after you held the switch. If it does correct it, please remember to accept my answer so JustAnswer credits me with assisting you today.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again.

I did as you asked on both kindles, got the picture of the tree and the loading bar, but unfortunately it hasn't cleared the problem. I do find it odd that both kindles aren't accepting wireless connection, but then if it were my wireless connection, surely my computers wouldn't be able to connect. Any other suggestions.?

I have a feeling that someone has changed your router's password. I didn't know it was two Kindles having the same problem. You are correct about the computer as long as they are wireless as well. Any chance someone changed the password XXXXX your knowledge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
quick question. if someone came into my home and took the number on the base of the router, would they be able to access or change your password. why I'm asking is I had my book keeper here recently and she was trying to pick up wireless so asked if she could take down the number on the router. she didn't ask me for a password. I'm very ignorant when it comes to this, could she have changed the password, and if someone was dishonest, would there be any security risk by her doing this?
You can use the number on the base to access the network, but I don't believe you can access the admin program using that. She may have pressed the reset button on the router which would have removed the password XXXXX then she could have reset it and established a new password XXXXX reconnected your computer, without realizing you had Kindles. Did the Kindle stop connecting just after her last visit?

I would hope that your book keeper would be the last dishonest person you know. ;-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually my last download was on the day that she was here. I have a desk top and 2 lap top computers though that are still working. She would have only had access to one of those. I have since pushed the reset button on the router (well I think it was the reset button) How would I know if i've removed the password? and If so, how do a reset it with a new one. Sound very techie so may have to get a local expert (which is not easy in Mauritius) When I'm on my desktop computer and I click on the wireless icon and go to properties, it still shows me my old password. Sorry for been so ignorant. I've asked her what she tried to do, and she told me she was trying to pick up wireless on her phone, but she never managed to do it!
No problem. Can you provide every number on your router to me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Before we go any further I need to know if this is a simple procedure which only needs doing on one thing, or am I going to have to change every computer, ipads, ipods etc in the house. If so I'd prefer an expert to do this, as I don't have the knowledge or the patience. And by the way, I will pay you regardless of the outcome, and you've been extremely patient.

You will have to change every connection in the house when the password XXXXX XXXXX This includes any connections to computers, Kindles, and perhaps your DVD player or ROKU system is you have a wireless connection to them as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay I think you've answered my question. I think I'll try and get a technician around to the house. Could you just explain why my desk top and lap tops haven't been effected. May just see if my ipad will connect quickly and I'll let you know when you reply.
Your iPad may use cell service and not your router. If your laptops are wireless, I'm not sure how they are connecting unless you are picking up some other network.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again Rob.

I think I've wasted enough of your time. I think I need to get someone in to check things over. I may go and try to connect to a friends wireless network, to see if that works, which will then tell me if the problem is my kindle or my network connection. Many thanks for your help. Have a good evening.

Jenny

Come back to me if it doesn't connect, but I'm pretty sure it will. If not, you need a lottery ticket today because the odds of both failing simultaneously are staggering.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I accept your answer now as you certainly deserve to be paid, am I able to come back to you specifically tomorrow or at a later stage once I've checked it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to let you know that my ipad works perfectly. so the mystery continues.

Anyway, thank you for your help you were most kind. I will def use this website again for techie help.

Regards

Let me know if your kindles connect at your friends house.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks I will do.

I accepted your answer on previous response. Hope you got that

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
. Scared to accept your answer again in case it charges me again!