AnswerManRob
AnswerManRob, Top Technician
Experience:  Kindle Expert. 20 yrs repairing & 5 yrs teaching electronics

My Kindles screen is half balck with white lines across it

My Kindle's screen is half balck with white lines across it regardless if the power is on or off. The unit is about two and a half years old, never been dropped, never been wet. It's always worked fine until now. Any idea how to repair or what the cause of the issue is?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  AnswerManRob replied 3 years ago.

AnswerManRob :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. The Kindle's software may be glitched. Slide and hold the power switch for 20 seconds. The Kindle screen should flicker and the Kindle software reload during the boot process. The Kindle should come back on after 2-3 minutes. Please let me know if it does not.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
AnswerManRob, tried what you suggested. A littel flicker on the screen but nothing happens, no change at all.
Hello again. Try plugging the Kindle into power for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes and while still plugged into the charger, slide and hold the switch until you see the flicker then release it. If this doesn't occur, let me know the model number. It should begin with D00.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing happening at all. Model # XXXXX
You appear to have a first generation Kindle. The reboot process is different for that one. Reference the below photograph:
graphic
Turn the Kindle over and slide the back off of it by pressing to the side. Insert a paper clip or tip of an earring into the reset hole. Let me know if it resets or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thnaks, tried that nothing happens at all.

Has this Kindle seen better days and its time to replace?

Unfortunately it does sound like it. Contact Kindle Repair Support at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand they will provide a flat-rate repair quote. They were offering a trade-in discount for a new model a while ago. You may want to consider that. You can download all your Kindle books from your archives if you end up purchasing a new one as soon as you register the Kindle to your Amazon account.

Have a great evening.

Rob
AnswerManRob, Top Technician
Experience: Kindle Expert. 20 yrs repairing & 5 yrs teaching electronics