Mike, Technician
Experience:  6+ years support, troubleshooting, repair, and programming experience.
11762411

My Kindle screen only shows half of the screen. The top half

My Kindle screen only shows half of the screen. The top half of the screen looks like an eraser was used on it. From the bottom half of the screen that I can see it appears that the screen savers are appearing and when powered up thebook pages are behaving properly. The only problem is the top half of the screen appears to be erased.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer.com! Once you've joined the chat, please post a short message using the reply box below to let me know you're ready to begin.

Customer:

I'm ready for the answer

Mike :

Great... glad you could join. First, I'd just like to establish which model/generation Kindle you have there. Do you recall the approximate date you purchased or received your Kindle (month/year is fine)?

Customer:

It's a G3/Wireless that my wife got me about a month ago

Mike :

Thank you... first thing, let's try a standard reset. I'll walk you through:

Customer:

okay

Mike :

The reset procedure for your model Kindle is as follows:
1) Unplug your Kindle (if it is plugged in).
2) Slide and hold the power switch for at least 20 seconds.
3) Release the power switch and wait.
4) Your Kindle will go blank and the screen may flash on/off a few times.
5) After a few moments, the reset should be complete and your Kindle should power on.
Important: it's imperative that you hold the switch long enough (20 seconds) in step 2. If the button is not held long enough, it won't trigger the reset.

Mike :

How is it going?

Customer:

It appeared to try to reset, but the problem did not clear. The screen looks like it did before, but somewhat lighter in shade

Mike :

Ok, as I suspected, that means the screen has failed on your device. I'm sorry that it has failed so soon (since you just purchased this Kindle a month ago). They are normally very reliable, but this does happen sometimes. Let's get you setup with a new Kindle. What you need to do is just give the service department a call at toll-free: 1-866-321-8851 and explain the screen issue. Also explain that you've had a technician walk you through and verified a failed screen. They'll then make arrangements to get a new replacement device shipped out. They don't bother with repairs. When you get your new device you'll return the old device in the prepaid shipping box...

Mike :

...your books will also be restored once you setup your new device, so you will not lose your purchases.

Mike :

Please feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have to make sure you have a good understanding of the information and/or solution I've provided. Otherwise, please click the Accept button if you're happy with my service; that's the only way I'm paid for my time in assisting you. Thank you and have a great rest of your day/evening!

Customer:

Thanks for your help

Mike, Technician
Experience: 6+ years support, troubleshooting, repair, and programming experience.