Mike, Technician
Experience:  6+ years support, troubleshooting, repair, and programming experience.
11762411

My kindle screen does not clear when I slide the power button.

Customer Question

My kindle screen does not clear when I slide the power button. The display is streaked; I can only see the screen in the lower corner beneath the screen saver. it is practically brand new. What's wrong and what can I do about it?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer.com!

Once you've joined the chat, please post a short message using the reply box below to let me know you're ready to begin.

Mike, Technician
Experience: 6+ years support, troubleshooting, repair, and programming experience.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello... you mentioned that your Kindle is very new. Does that mean you have purchased it within the last month or so?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is about two months old
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Great, thank you. It sounds like the screen has failed at first thought. Typically when any kind of distortion appears on the screen, it is a physical failure of the device. It does sometimes display odd/random behavior when a software error/glitch occurs. What we'll do is try a reset, which will verify. Then, if it does turn out that there is a hardware failure, I'll help you in getting a replacement sent out since your device is still under warranty. First, the reset...

The reset procedure for your model Kindle is as follows:

1) Unplug your Kindle (if it is plugged in).
2) Slide and hold the power switch for at least 20 seconds.
3) Release the power switch and wait.
4) Your Kindle will go blank and the screen may flash on/off a few times.
5) After a few moments, the reset should be complete and your Kindle should power on.

Important: it's imperative that you hold the switch long enough (20 seconds) in step 2. If the button is not held long enough, it won't trigger the reset.

If that doesn't work for you, please let me know and we'll proceed as necessary.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The rest did not work
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok... that unfortunately does verify my suspicion. There is an internal hardware failure. To make arrangements to have a replacement shipped out, call toll-free: 1-866-321-8851 and explain the issue with the screen and that you've had a technician walk you through the reset, and the screen did not change. They'll go ahead and make arrangements to get you a replacement shipped out (they don't bother with repairs). You'll need to ship them your damaged Kindle in the prepaid shipping box you'll receive. Once you get your new Kindle, just set it up with your existing Kindle account and your previous purchases will be automatically downloaded.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Regards,