Mike , Technician
Experience:  6+ years support, troubleshooting, repair, and programming experience.
11762411

My Kindle has suddenly lost the top half of the screen. It

My Kindle has suddenly lost the top half of the screen. It is completely blank. Can you fix this problem or tell me how to fiz it.

Alvin Tanner
email:[email protected]
telephone: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Mike :

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer.com!

Please post a short message using the reply box below to let me know you're here once you have joined the chat.

Customer:

I am here

Mike :

Alright... First, I'd like to establish which model or which generation Kindle you have there...

Mike :

Did you recently purchase this?

Customer:

The model number is XXXXX

Mike :

Thank you...

Mike :

Let's try a reset. Assuming this is software related, and not hardware, a reset should get it taken care of...

Mike :

The reset procedure is as follows:

1) Unplug your Kindle (if it is plugged in).

2) Slide and hold the power switch for at least 20 seconds.

3) Release the power switch and wait.

4) Your Kindle will go blank and the screen may flash on/off a few times.

5) After a few moments, the reset should be complete and your Kindle should power on.

Customer:

It was purchased October 21, 2010 by my son and was given to me about 2 weeks ago.

Mike :

Once the Kindle powers back on, see if the screen issue has been resolved.

Customer:

No. The top half of the screen is still blank.

Mike :

Did the Kindle reboot?

Customer:

Yes

Mike :

Ok, what that means is the screen has failed. Since your Kindle is under warranty, you can obtain a replacement by calling toll-free: 1-866-321-8851. When you call the number, explain the issue, and that you've had a technician walk you through the reset process and your screen is still not working. They'll go ahead and make arrangements to get you a new device shipped out. Note that you won't lose your purchased books. They'll be automatically downloaded to your new Kindle upon completion of the initial setup process...

Mike :

If you have any follow-up questions regarding this issue, or if you need clarification on any of the information I've provided, please feel free to post. Otherwise, please click the Accept button to conclude our chat today if you're happy with my service. Thank you.

Customer:

Ok