Mike, Technician
Experience:  6+ years support, troubleshooting, repair, and programming experience.

1. When I purchased my Kindle, the email account I had for

1. When I purchased my Kindle, the email account I had for Amazon wasn't working at all, my computer filled in the info automatically.
2. When I received my Kindle and tried to register it I couldn't give the email address or password.
3. Stupidly I changed my email and password. Now Amazon tells me that my Kindle is registered to another account.

How do I fix this problem so that I can use my Kindle? Please HELP.

Thank you very much,

Sue Rathman
former emailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX password ?????
new emailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX password XXXXX
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sue, and thanks for the question. You must first deregister your Kindle since it's registered to the account you're no longer using. The simplest way to do this is to press Menu when you're at the home screen. Then, in Settings, select "Reset to Factory Defaults." After your Kindle resets, you'll be at the initial setup screen. There you can enter the account credentials of the account you wish to use.

Edited by Mike on 1/5/2011 at 4:32 AM EST
Mike, Technician
Experience: 6+ years support, troubleshooting, repair, and programming experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike - that sounds reasonable. Should I set up a new Amazon account before I reset my Kindle and reregister it?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again. I recommend that you go ahead and setup the account before resetting your Kindle for a more seamless reset.
Mike, Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - I just tried to 'Reset to Factory Defaults." in the setting section. That was not an option. Now what?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The setting should be there... are you certain you're pressing Menu from the home screen? Then going to Settings? You should see a Menu that looks like this:

If you don't see that, can you tell me what you do see so I can have an idea where you're at, maybe?

Edited by Mike on 1/5/2011 at 4:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Darlin' - You forgot to tell me to go to Menu after I got to Settings. When I did that, I got the correct screen. Thanks for your help.
Now maybe I helped you help others just a little bit.

Love to ya' (Southern for thank you)

Sue
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to hear you found it. Have a great night!