Rod, Engineer
Experience:  Design Engineer, using E-books in system integration.
14090506

I cannot connect my kindle to my wi-fi home network keeps saying

Customer Question

I cannot connect my kindle to my wi-fi home network keeps saying incorrect or invalid password. I've entered it's mac address in my router config as suggested by amazon, but still can't connect. please help
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer,

Do you have a computer connected to the wireless router in your home?

Do you know what encryption you have enabled on the router? WEP, WPA or WPA2, and are you using AES or TKIP?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a linksys wireless router using WPA2 and AES. Have reset the password XXXXX added the kindle's mac address in the settings and this doesn't work either.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer,

I'm glad you know that, because for many, its difficult to explain to them how to find that information.

Try setting the encryption to TKIP (vs AES), you may have to go to WPA - rather than WPA2, depending on the routers firmware.

Then see if the Kindle will connect.

Let me know your results.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this did not work either.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

I assume you have the Kindle-3 WiFi and the signal strength looks good from the Kindle's point of view - yes?

Without providing me your WiFi password, give me an example, using similar characters.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
signal is good. I just tried to remove the security and it connected then...of course can't do that.
all lower case in the password XXXXX letters
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

I have in my notes, and Amazon does not document this, or admit it, that the Kindle has a problem with password XXXXX over 18 characters. This will somewhat decrease the encryption strength. (My home Wifi has only 10 characters - our Kindles work).

Try changing the password XXXXX 15 characters, you can use WPA2-Personal and AES encryption - this will be a pain, because you will have to reset any other devices, but I believe you will be able to get your Kindle to connect then.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
didn't work either. I had tried that previously, but tried again and still didn't work
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

I know this is frustrating for you, but I love challenges.

Go to your WiFi settings on your Kindle, and deselect/remove any Wifi devices the Kindle has identified.

Then, reset the Kindle - to do this, remove any charger and USB cable and power off. Then, as if to turn on, hold the power switch for 15 seconds. The Kindle will reset (you will not loose your books).

If you have set the wireless router to a 15 character or less password/key. Turn the Kindle back on - and then see if you can get the connection.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, still not working :-(
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

You got it to connect without security. How long have you owned the Linksys router - do you know the firmware version? What is the complete model number of the router?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
owned for awhile WRT54GS. Firmware version 1.52.8. Have done the upgrades. F irmware Version: v1.52.8 Firmware Version: v1.52.8
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

There are different hardware versions of that model - what is the version number after the model on the bottom of the router?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
V.5
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

I must admire you for keeping your software and firmware up to date. You have the latest release.

Amazon has released Kindle OS 3.0.3 (you probably have 3.0.2). Let's try updating the Kindle firmware - again, you will not loose your books, they are always available on your account.

Version 3.0.3 is available here
- with instructions on how to install (basically downloading to your computer, and dragging it over to the Kindle). I'm surprised Amazon did not mention this - or did they?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
done, but still won't connect. No they never mentioned it when I called them.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

I know what the problem is, but not sure why. The problem is the key and the encryption/decryption algorithm between the Kindle and the Wireless Router, are not negotiating - since you can connect without encryption. I have had success with having people changing to the TKIP encryption - with lesser key lengths.

It might be the hardware version of the router being 5, might not be up to snuff (they are at version 8).

I am out of options at this moment - I will opt out, and perhaps another expert will have a solution I have not run across.

If no one responds to you, I will sleep on it (get my best solutions then) and reply tomorrow, but with me opting out, another expert can pick this up.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks much for trying. I did already try to TKIP again with no luck as well as just WPA.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

I really believe its a problem with the algorithms with the Kindle - the password XXXXX and the switching from AES/TKIP. Amazon will need to wake up to this.

Have you tired WEP? Its the most basic, but does offer some protection?

Thanks,
Rod, Engineer
Experience: Design Engineer, using E-books in system integration.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did try that before just to see and it did not work
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Candy,

As I mentioned, and hoped WEP would work - I am going to have to opt out. Got to find some dinner, and relax for the day.

Hopefully another expert can help, if not, I will be back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again for the effort~Connie
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Connie,

I have not forgotten you - have not been able to find any solution, and with Christmas, there are a lot of people who have been having problems connecting their new Kindle to WiFi.

I've been doing some research, but have not come up with anything different. One note I ran across, was to connect a second B/G router from a different manufacturer and using that for the Kindle, with minimal security.

I will touch base later.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX's not really an answer.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello, looks like Rod has all the bases covered and it's likely a compatibility issue between your router and the Kindle in which case you're going to need a new router. That may not be what you want to hear, but that's the answer as aggravating as it may be.

That being said, I have been able to rectify a similar problem by forgetting the wireless network and then attempting to connect again. If you go into your WiFi settings, you should see the option to "forget" the wireless network you're connected to. Choose that option to "forget" the network. Then try to connect again as you normally would. Hopefully, this solves it for you. If not, I don't see any other possibilities here.

Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, we tried that yesterday....but thanks for the input.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No reason to apologize. You've done nothing wrong. If you're still not able to connect, that would verify Rod's answer. You're going to need a new router and you'll be all set. Take care.

Edited by Mike on 12/31/2010 at 4:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks. I'll keep trying to figure out, or just end up not using security on the router while on kindle.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Glad to help, although, Rod is the one who put the work in on this one. Sorry if things weren't made clear for you, but there isn't anything to figure out. Your router is not going to work with your Kindle, so you'll need a new router or to leave security turned off. Have a good night.