Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My daughter used cocaine 6 days ago and needs follicle test.

Customer Question

My daughter used cocaine 6 days ago and needs follicle test. Will cocaine show up
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: Hair but only didcocaine 1 this one time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Been years since she did any about 5
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Well the simple answer here is that the hair follicle test is designed to pick up repeated cocaine use over the last 90 days and usually would not pick up a recent single use of cocaine. The reason is that the hair follicle is removed from the scalp and then only a 1.5 inch part of teh hair is tested (it is measured from the root end). Now it takes atleast 5-6 days from the time of last use of the drug to enter into the hair and then grow above the scalp. So in your daughters case it is less likely that a single use of cocaine just six days back has entered into the hair follicle. There is a very good chance that the test will come back as negative in her case simply because she used the drug recently.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.