Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I am a gout sufferer and have knee pain. I have gone to see

Customer Question

I am a gout sufferer and have knee pain. I have gone to see doctors and they have prescribed hydrocodone, sometimes at my request but sometimes they offer. I use these meds to alleviate the pain and then put the rest in my med cabinet. I recently fell and have a probable pinched nerve in my neck and was taking the old hydocodone to help with the pain. So I have old prescriptions and also two valid prescriptions. I have not taken anything for the last three weeks as going to the physical therapist has helped. I was probably taking on average 2 / 10 mg pills three times a week (total of 50 pills) since the fall in September. I have interviewed for a new job and if offered they require a hair sample. will this sample be positive and do I have any options?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. David replied 20 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 20 days ago.

your hair sample could be positive for hydrocodone or opiates,

but you have a valid prescriptions for it and were taking it under the direction of your doctors.

so that is fine if the hair test is positive for hydrocodone