Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had four beers November 5th, four more on the 6th, and

Customer Question

I had four beers November 5th, four more on the 6th, and four more on the 7th. I need to take a PETH test and path. What date is the earliest I can take the test and be confident of passing?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 22 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The PEth test can remain positive for up to 4 weeks after stopping drinking. However, it is really dependent upon the long term use of alcohol. The studies that show the longest periods of detection are in chronic heavy users of alcohol. In this population, even a short period of abstinence followed by a short period of drinking, there appears to be a long period of detection. However, in someone that chronically uses less alcohol, but has a short binge to cause a positive PEth, the period of detection appears to be shorter.

So, depending upon your long-term use of alcohol, you may be negative sooner, but if you want to be more confident that you will have a negative test, it would be better for you to wait 4 weeks before being tested. If it is impossible for you to delay the testing that far, then you want to at least delay it until 2 weeks after the last drink, and as far as possible.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.