Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

How much does it cost to ask a question about a drug test?

Customer Question

how much does it cost to ask a question about a drug test?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 30 days ago.

The price varies, and the price is determined to some extent by the customer, depending upon the complexity of the question and the detail that is desired in the answer.

The system should have provided options for pricing before you posted the question. However, if there are any issue with the charges or other financial aspects of the system, it would be better to communicate directly with customer service (*****@******.***).

I would be glad to address the medical question, but the experts do not have access to review or alter any of the financial details of the system.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Have a bad disk in my back and see a pain specialist. He done a urine test on me type g0483. And had some ambien from a older prescription that I filled on 7-2-2016 and woke up at one the day before the test and at 3 a.m. decided to take a ambien. Forgot to mention it to my doctor and wander what I should do? Will it even show up. I am in the dark? I do get 1 7.5 mg of hydrocodone from him per day for the last 3 months. I must mention.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hit the button on the page by mistake. I do not need a live phone call.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
are you there?

It is fine for us to communicate by text.

Yes, the Ambien may be detected by the urine drug test. The code, G0483, indicates that they are performing confirmatory testing, usually GC/MS. If they were only doing screening tests (which would be a different G code), it would typically not detect the Ambien. Even though the Ambien acts on the benzodiazepine receptor, it is not a true benzodiazepine by chemical structure, so the generic test for benzodiazepines will not detect the drug. However, since they are automatically performing the confirmatory test, this test can detect the Ambien.

From the perspective of timing, the Ambien is very short acting, but in some people the metabolites can be detected for up to 72 hours. There are many people that are negative sooner, but the Ambien will likely be detected in the time frame that you mention in your scenario.

Is there any additional information that is helpful?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
what would be the likelyhood they would have tested for the ambien?
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
in the g0483 test?

It is likely that they would be testing for the Ambien. The G0483 code does not specify which drugs are tested. The code indicates that the testing is done by a definitive testing method, such as the GC/MS, and that it is looking for 22 or more drug classes. It is the code for the most comprehensive drug testing, and that typically means that they are looking for any drugs that can potentially be abused.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Does it matter that I had a prescription for it that was filled on 7-2-16. You mentioned abused if I had a prescription isn't it valid for 6 months after it is filled?
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Do I appear to be understanding your answers?

I said drugs that can potentially be abused, but that was referencing the scope of testing, not that you had abused the drug.

From a legal perspective, you did absolutely nothing wrong. Since the drug was legally prescribed and filled on 7/2/2016, everything was legal, including taking the pill this time. The issue would be whether you did not follow the instructions of the Pain Management physician. Some Pain Management physicians require that the patients sign a Pain Management contract, while others may simply inform you of their expectations. A frequent requirement is that you typically obtain all of your prescriptions for controlled substances from the Pain Management doctor. Or if situations arise in which you are obtaining a prescription for controlled substances from another doctor, the Pain Management doctor is fully informed and aware of that prescription. If a Pain Management doctor performs a urine drug test and finds any drug that he/she does not know that you are taking (whether legal or not), that can be used as grounds for terminating the doctor-patient relationship. If you informed the Pain Management doctor on the visit when you were started on daily pain medicines three months ago that you had this prescription, but only used it rarely, and he/she did not instruct you to stop taking it, then there will not be a problem.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Am unsure if a pain contract was setup. The person doing the urine test asked me if anything would influence this test that I was aware of. And forgot to mention the ambien that I took. Where I am from they can get a report of all controlled medicines that have been filled. And have seen them with a list of what I have got filled that is controlled if any of this matters? Please advise on my cobbled statements and questions.

Yes, most states have systems that allow doctors to review controlled substance prescriptions, and the prescription for Ambien would have been on that list. But depending upon the history that you provided, the doctor may have interpreted that as a prescription for a problem that was no longer present.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

I have not received any additional questions, so I will interpret that as the discussion is complete and I will finalize the thread.