Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have tested positive for pcp and have never even seven

Customer Question

I have tested positive for pcp and have never even seven this drug, let alone used it, however they are gonna put me in jail for it,
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: Yes! Tomorrow
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Urine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What type of test was this?

Was this a urine screening test? Or was this also a confirmatory test?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Idk. It was a urine drug screen dipstick, however they sent me out for another lab tested one.do u think this will show up the same way? I have been taking Lamictal and use 4 way nose spray, do they really cause false positives? If so how do I prove this is all I used?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot afford 50 bucks to talk. Can't we just type?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

It is fine to discuss through typed Q&A. The offer for a phone call is an automated offer. It takes longer to type, but I am fine to continue using this method. Please be patient.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks!

If the only positive result has been a urine drug screen by dipstick and you are certain that you have not used the drug, then the test that they have sent off will not show the drug.

Urine drug screening tests have the advantage of being quick and significantly less costly. But they have a fair amount of false positive results, even in people that are not taking anything that is known to cause false positives. It is because of the rate of false positives that it is expected that every positive urine drug screen should be further tested by a more accurate test, which is called a confirmatory test. The most common is gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS), but there are other specific methods.

The lamotrigine has a mild structural similarity to PCP, so could be the cause of the false positive (see http://www.mdpoison.com/media/SOP/mdpoisoncom/ToxTidbits/2014/January%202014%20ToxTidbits.pdf), but it does not really matter what is the cause of the false positive. Once the confirmatory test does not show the PCP, that is proof that the screening test is a false positive, even if it does not prove the cause of the false positive.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The second test was also a urine, will they have take another one (blood) or will the urine test come back negative even if I take 4 way nose spray and Lamictal? Cause I think if the 2nd one comes back positive I will definitely go to jail, but I really didn't do pcp!

No, the additional testing will not involve the blood. The confirmatory test should also be done on the urine.

There is no need to stop the drugs. These drugs will only cause false positives on the urine screening tests. The urine confirmatory test will only be positive if there is PCP in your system.

Of course, if you do not need the drugs, there is no problem with not taking them. But the confirmatory test will be accurate regardless of whether you continue to take the drugs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much! I feel much better now! Hopefully she doesn't put me in jail to wait for the confirmatory test come back.

I have never heard of someone being jailed solely because of a positive screening test, because most authorities in the legal system know that there are false positives on urine screening tests. But if they are even suggesting that they may do so, you can print off and show them the document that I linked above.