Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My son age 22 is enlisting in the USAF He was honest and

Customer Question

my son age 22 is enlisting in the USAF He was honest and told me he had been smoking I got drug kits to test him at home and he has failed for 60 days He is NOT smoking If he goes to MEPS he will be banned from military for his lifetime HOW is he still failing? I NEVER tried drugs and am at a loss
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: yes MEPS apt in late October Urine
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no he is very healthy no issues ever I am 47 and no issue and work for DoD He is 20 and going active duty USAF
Category: Drug Testing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bought several icup tests and he has failed each week since 5 AUG.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

How much did he smoke before quitting?

Is he taking any medicines, including any over the counter medicines?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is taking nothing - He drinks water and works out 3 times a day.He said every day for several months he smoked
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just answer on chat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cannot take calls at work
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello??

It will take me some time to type an answer.

It is very unusual for someone that smoked daily to still have a positive test after 60 days. Even someone that is a heavy daily user will usually only be positive for about 30 days after quitting. It is always possible that someone could be an exceptionally slow metabolizer, but it would be very unusual.

It is actually statistically much more likely that he is having a false positive. There are many different reasons that false positives can occur, and we cannot identify the specific reasons in many cases. I ask about other medicines because one of the common reasons are over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Since he is not taking any medicines, it is possible that it could be related to something in his diet.

While I can say that in someone that has certainly quit marijuana use for 60 days, it is statistically more likely that these are false positives, the proof of this would require performing a confirmatory drug test, such as a GC/MS. These confirmatory tests cannot be done at home, so it would be necessary for the test to be done in a reference laboratory. You can contact a local lab and ask how to get tested. They may require an order from a doctor, but many labs may do the test without a doctor's order (although you or he would be responsible for the bill). If he gets a confirmatory blood test and it is negative, then that is proof that these positive screening tests are false positives.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you - I have made dr appt with family dr for tomorrow for lab tests.

You are welcome. Your family doctor would be able to get the confirmatory test done.