Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I took home test and benzodiazepines show positive. I took

Customer Question

I took home test and benzodiazepines show positive. I took approximately .25 mg Alprazolam yesterday. will drug test indicate any sign of abuse? or how do they measure that?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: urine and possibly today or tomorrow
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no just hypertension. thc was negative but has been a month I think and I do not regularly use marijuana. very occasional
Category: Drug Testing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Actually alprazolam or Xanax can stay in your system for upto 4-6 days at a time after a single dose as it is one of the longest acting benzodiazepines. This can cause the drug test to come back as positive, as long as you have a prescription for the drug then you should be fine. If however you dont have a prescription for the drug, then it will be a problem. They usually only check the concentration of the drug in your system. In some cases the drug can be eliminated from the system after 2 days depending on your metabolism.

Now in most cases the xanax would be eliminated by 4 days after ingestion however if your levels are high they may go for a GC/MS test which will help them determine how much of the drug you took as well as the exact amount present in your system. this will tell them if a single dose was taken or multiple doses were used at times.

But the test would come back as positive if it is done within 4 days of the ingestion of the drug.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My prescription is some years old. I have always had left over from that and was beginning to experience anxiety recently and used the drug again. Should I ask the doctors office from original prescription to send copy of old prescription?

Yes ask them for that, that may help you but ask your doctor to tell them that he did prescribe you the drug which will help them in determining the next course of action.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.