Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

You are online and available, yes? I have seen a doctor,

Customer Question

You are online and available, yes?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have seen a doctor, yes. Of concern, I am on Percocet 10 q4. Soma 350mg QID, Klonopin 2mg BID.and Ambien 10mg QHS. I have been on the benzo and Ambien for 7 years, since law and business school, and the other two for two years. That being said, I have not taken an opiod in two weeks. I took more than the prescribed amount of Soma on Friday, was in a one car accident, complied fully. and am wondering about the detection rates of both the Soma, if the State tests for it, and the Klonopin. I was honest and said that I had taken a Soma. I failed the field sobriety test. but it was cold, damp. and I was barefoot.
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: Anxiety, TMJ, parotid issues, and either a pinched nerve or herniated disc; the MRI is to be next week.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Anxiety and depression, knee surgeries. and the TMJ / parotid issues.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am not sure what information you are asking, but the situation may be more complex than you anticipate.

There is not a single correct answer for the detection rate for these drugs, because the detection rate for the Soma and Klonopin will depend upon whether they do the correct test to look for those substances. But if you were honest about what drugs you had taken, then they should have obtained the proper test. And if you had taken both drugs that day, then the detection rate would be close to 100%.

If they only did a common drug screening test, it usually does not include a test for Soma. And the generic screening test for benzodiazepines will frequently miss the Klonopin. But that is why they should have obtained the test that would detect each of these drugs. If they order a GC/MS test, it will not only be able to identify the Soma and Klonopin, it will also be able to detect the levels of each drug. However, if they only test the urine, the level of the drugs in the urine typically is not sensitive enough to identify that someone has taken a higher dose of the drug. If they ordered tests on the blood, then the level of the drugs in the blood may be able to say that someone took more than a therapeutic amount of the drug, particularly if the test was done when the level is peaking in the blood.

If you have not taken the Percocet in two weeks, it will be well out of your system, and it would not be detected by any test.

Is this the information you are seeking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think this satisfies my question. I am more concerned about detection and metabolism. The klonopin was taken Friday morning and the greater than prescribed dosage was taken Friday throughout the day. I was perfectly coherent and unimpaired, despite failing a field sobriety test; I drank one beer on occasion, was pulled over, and blew a .01. I have poor coordination. In this instance, there was no alcohol or illicit drugs. I did take a Xanax, for which I had a prescription, in the morning before. I was up all night, but was arrested. I was treated very well; the only mistake is that I admitted to taking the soma.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have never had an issue.

The Soma is metabolized relatively quickly, with a half-life of about 2 hours. The Klonopin is metabolized more slowly, with a half-life of about a day, and sometimes 2 days. It is frequently prescribed to be taken more often because the effect of taking the Klonopin is primarily only felt when the drug is peaking in the system, so the benefit from taking the drug will usually only last about 8-12 hours.

For both drugs, with the time at which they were taken, the tests would almost certainly detect these drugs, if they ordered the proper test. With the metabolism of both drugs, there would be plenty of the drugs in the system to be detected by the tests.

Of course, having drugs in your system does not prove impairment, but that is not an issue that can be resolved by drug testing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was blood and urine tested

The blood test may be able to detect that higher doses of the Soma were taken, particularly if the blood level was checked when the drug was peaking, which would be about 1/2 - 1 hour after taking the last pill.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess we shall see. Thank

You are most welcome.