Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I am having trouble getting to sleep and heard valerian root

Customer Question

I am having trouble getting to sleep and heard valerian root extract will help. I am currently having urine drug test that screen for sensor times. Will this show up in this test
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: They are urine tests
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have recently broke my humourous in two places and have a history of drug abuse
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Actually valerian root can help in you falling asleep, this is a naturally occurring sedative which has been used successfully for this purpose for several years now. Now teh only problem with using this is that it can sometimes cause you to develop a false positive for benzodiazepines in a urine test. This can cause you to fail your urine test, that is why it is not recommended to be used atleast until you get your urine test done. In case it does come back as positive because of valerian root, you would have a chance of appealing the test result and asking them to run a GC/MS test on the same sample for benzodiazepines which should clear you. But regardless i would recommend that you avoid using valerian root. Try using natural remedies like warm glass of milk, a bath etc until the test afterwards you can use valerian root.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.