Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took a t of Marijuana from a pipe yesterday morning first

Customer Question

I took a hit of Marijuana from a pipe yesterday morning for the first time in months and got tested at 2pm today. I followed the directions on absolute detox XXL like it says. Went to Walmart 2 hours after my test for a home test kit and it showed up negative. Worried to death.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Will I be charged $?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Although you did not specifically say, I interpret your post as asking about the likelihood of detection on the urine test at 2 pm.

If someone takes a single hit of marijuana from a pipe or a cigarette, it will frequently not be detectable by a urine drug test the following day. If there is a more substantive intake of marijuana, it will usually be detectable the next day, but a single hit contains a relatively low amount of THC, so will frequently be undetectable.

It is impossible to say with certainty that the test today at 2 pm will return a negative result, but it can be said that there is a very good chance that it will return a negative result.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

I have not heard back, so I assume that I have provided the information that you are seeking. However, if I can provide any further assistance, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. To be safe I took a detox XXL drink and followed the instructions. Do those help?

I am sorry for the delay, but I was away from the computer when you replied.

There is no clinical evidence that these types of products help, or more precisely, there is no clinical evidence that these help any better than simply drinking good amounts of fluids. Drinking fluids helps by flushing the system and diluting the urine, and someone that is close to the threshold of detection may have a lowering of the concentration to a level that it will no longer be detected.

Drinking fluids can be overdone, because excessive fluids and excessive dilution of the urine may also raise red flags during the testing process, but drinking a good amount of fluids is good.

So, the Detox XXL may help many people, but it is as likely to be due to the fluids that are typically a part of the instructions, rather than anything else in the product.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I didn't consume very much Marijuana so hopefully I'll be ok. But, I didn't drink gallons of water either. I took a do it at home test kit from Walmart a couple hours after the urine test, and that showed up ok.

You are welcome. The negative home test is reassuring that the lab test at 2 pm will also return negative, but it can be said that it would frequently be negative simply because it was only one hit.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thc usually builds up in your system over time, with more use?

That is a true statement, so that ongoing use will accumulate and can result in longer periods of detection. However, for your situation, it is more pertinent that most people that smoke marijuana on a single occurrence will smoke more than one hit. If you had a single episode of marijuana use that involved more than one hit and at a level that is more common from a single use, then it would be likely that a urine test the next day would be positive. After a single use that involves more than one hit, maraijuana can be detected for up to three days, but in someone that uses marijuana abot four times per week, it can be detected for up to 5 days, and for someone that smokes daily, it can commonly be detected for 10 days, although heavier use can be for much longer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I should be good as I used a "one hitter" as they are called. With my ocd, last night I repeated the steps, timing of the detox xxl flush and retook the Walmart test strip and it was negative. Just self reassuring.

That is fine. Yes, you will likely be good.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I'm close to the cut off line, is there any kind of over the counter meds I "might have used" to give the thought of a false positive?

There are over the counter medicines that can give a false positive for marijuana, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, but that would only hurt you. Any positive screen would be sent for confirmation, and the threshold for detection of marijuana on the confirmatory test is lower than for the screening test. The threshold for detection on the screening test is 50, while the threshold for detection on the confirmatory test is 15. So, if your level was 90, the screening test would be negative, but the confirmatory test would be positive, and that would be considered positive even if the reason for the positive screening test was the ibuprofen or naproxen. You should avoid the use of any medicines that may cause a false positive once you know that testing will be done.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm also prescribed by a doctor, 1,000 milI grams of niacin at bedtime to help with my high cholesterol. I've heard of niacin intake possibly being a factor. True?

There is no clinical evidence that niacin can help someone pass a urine drug test, but many people will use the supplement to try to help.