DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified internal medicine doctor years of experience addiction and all other medical problems
24257177

Started with a new firm in Georgia. Had initial drug screen

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: started with a new firm in Georgia. Had initial drug screen at Quest and it was negative (Test given was random UR Drug screen) SAP 10-50 PLUS W/NIT. 90 days latter they sent me for the same urine screen called a random test. The test was taken at a lab and shipped out to another Lab for testing. Over a week later I received a call from THIS LAB saying I tested positive for 5 substances , none that I have done in many years and I also don't even drink. Question is they reported to my firm tha I was positive for Cocaine, Morphine/ opiates and pot. I do not and don't do these substances and was let go. Where could have this test gone wrong???
JA: It can be really useful knowing what is showing up in drug tests. I'm sure our Expert will help you decide whether to get one or not. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Are you saying after the fact??? I do not understand how they could let me go for not only one drug but 4 that I do Not Use??? Need help badly please
JA: No. I'm the Doctor's Assistant. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 8 months ago.

Hello

If they did not do confirmatory testing, then there can be false positives.

GC/MS confirmatory testing is standard for a valid drug test.

If they did not do this, they can not complain a positive.

This is one possibility.

If they did do this testing, then the only explanation would be that they mixed up samples.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/